The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is recruiting for a Senior Manager, Food Safety to lead on the design and implementation of their new EatSafe programme. This exciting opportunity is a key role within the organisation and will be based in Washington, DC.
GAIN is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially those most vulnerable to malnutrition.
About the role
EatSafe is the Evidence and Action Towards Safe Nutritious Food programme at GAIN. It will lead a consortium to generate evidence and knowledge of the potential of increased consumer demand for safe food to substantially improve the safety of nutritious foods in informal market settings in low and middle-income countries.
The Senior Manager, Food Safety will provide leadership and direction to the design and implementation of EatSafe. They will work closely with the Lead, Food Safety to build the food safety portfolio, providing leadership and oversight of all research activities related to the programme. They will play an essential role in ensuring strong, positive relationships and representation with consortium partner organisations and other relevant technical counterparts in countries, with USAID in HQ and in the field, and with other partners and donors. Role specifics include;
- Provide overall research leadership ensuring relevance and complementarity with other food safety activities, alignment with USAID priorities and global best practices
- Serve as primary liaison with consortium members on research related activities to ensure a smooth and appropriate collaboration, ensuring skills and interest of consortium partners is appropriately utilized to achieve EatSafe’s goals
- Review scopes of work, outlines, reports, abstracts, and publications for all research products to ensure high standards for technical content
- Develop and manage research budgets in collaborate with finance and compliance staff to monitor spending
- In the absence of the Lead, assume overall responsibility for the management of the project
- Represent the consortium at food safety and related events
You will bring deep knowledge and experience in food safety research and programming to support the implementation of this exciting initiative. In addition to having a PhD in food safety or a related field, you will demonstrate extensive research design, implementation and publication experience relevant to this position, as well as experience in leading and developing people. Formal project management and leadership training would be a distinct advantage.
About our offer
In addition to competitive salary, GAIN offers an attractive pension scheme, 25 days holiday (plus public holiday), flexible working, home working and professional development opportunities. We will support you to grow in your career and offer this within a supportive and collaborative environment.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition is committed to equality of opportunity and creating an inclusive environment where diversity is valued. We are keen to reflect the diversity of our society at every level within our organisation and therefore welcome applications from talented and committed people from all backgrounds, representing the diverse societies we operate in.