Our ref: ACAV/MGT/03/2020 Date posted**: 23/10/2020**
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV) is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to promote international solidarity for equitable and compatible development in the world so as to reach a balance between poor and rich social realities. Its cooperation projects for development are based on the values of sustainability, transparency, respect, accountability and reciprocity. ACAV operates according to the principles of equality, non-discrimination and impartiality by adopting the same approach towards all individuals and institutions with whom it interacts.
ACAV operates in close cooperation with local governments and development partners to support high impact, sustainable and replicable development initiatives that transform lives and communities in the hardest to reach rural areas of the developing countries. By adopting a holistic approach which links development and humanitarian response, ACAV intervenes in different sectors, including livelihood and agriculture, water and sanitation, vocational and skills development, environmental protection and conservation, and cross-border cooperation.
ACAV has been awarded a 3-year grant by European Union Emergency Trust Fund to address the irregular migration and displacement of people in Africa (EUTF) to finance the implementation of the action titled “Technical Assistance to Koboko Municipality to implement CRRF (Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework): Inclusive Urban Development and Mobility in Koboko, Uganda”.
The EU Trust Fund project comprises of staffing such as direct Hires under EU project, Personal Services Contractors and the staff of Koboko Municipal Council. Therefore, the HR Specialist shall support in Human resource management services which include work force planning, coordinating, processing, recruitment, appointment and issuance of personnel activities, maintenance of staffing records, projections and orientation.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with ACAV’s Terms of Employment for national staff.
Main duties and responsibilities
1. Human Resource Planning.
- The HR specialist shall support in analyzing the demand and supply of labour while ensuring that there is a perfect fit for the employees in ACAV.
- As an expert, conduct job analysis interviews with job holders and as necessary, with supervisors to gain an in-depth understanding of the duties and responsibilities of the staff.
- Participate in the review of job descriptions in liaison with sector heads and update/maintain the job description database.
- Develop and monitor the implementation of the HR departmental plan and budget
2. Talent Acquisition.
- Based on staffing needs, conduct clear recruitment processes in line with ACAV recruitment policies and the Labour laws of Uganda.
- Prepare employment letters and other related onboarding documents.
- Develop and conduct employee orientation regarding Office services for new staff and arrange appointments with other departments for such orientation.
3. Performance Management.
- Review the existing performance evaluation tool and manage the performance evaluation process.
- Recommend and develop staff performance improvement plan and staff development programs or activities.
- Prepare a comprehensive performance evaluation report for management decision.
- Provide guidance and counselling for staff in line with their performance.
- Track all performance evaluations to ensure timely completion, accuracy, and fairness in accordance with ACAV’s policies and procedures
4. Training and Development.
- Design and implement capacity building programs and activities for ACAV staff, Koboko Municipality and the local CBOs implementing the EUTF project.
- With support from head of departments from Koboko Municipal council and ACAV, identify the training needs of the staff and provide appropriate trainings for proper career development.
5. Rewards and Motivation.
- Review the existing benefits of ACAV and advice management on better reward systems that will support staff motivation and retention.
- Administer all staff benefits programs, enrollments, changes, removals; and maintain appropriate documentation;
- Support monthly payroll as appropriate, including management of leave requests, timesheet reconciliations and all payroll records.
6. Policy formulation and Implementation.
- Review the HR policies of ACAV and provide advice to management about the implementation of the policies.
- Interpret and advise stakeholders on application of EU Policies and guidelines in the implementation of the EU capacity building grant.
- Formulate short-term and long-term Human Resource goals, policies, controls and plans to improve the efficiency and efficacy of ACAV’s and Koboko Municipality Human Resource process. This involves the analysis and development of Human Resource reports, policies, procedures and guidelines, to be utilized by every department within the two institutions.
- Develop, implement and oversee Human Resource policies and procedures, strategic plans, reports, forecasts and projections and statements are consistent with generally accepted Human Resource standards.
7. Record Management.
- Develop strategies for monitoring the maintenance and update of accessible Human resources information systems (HRIS) for improved decision making in line with the Organization’s objectives.
- Maintain staff records in compliance with ACAV policies.
- Conduct frequent HR record audits to ensure compliance
- Ensure compliance with annual leave plans and maintenance of up-to-date annual Leave Data
8. Grievance handling and disciplinary management.
- Ensure that all employee relations procedures including disciplinary actions, employee counseling, dispute resolution, and separation procedures are handled promptly, professionally, and in compliance with ACAV policies and Ugandan labor law.
9. Exit Management.
- Properly manage staff exits in line with the Labor laws of Uganda and ACAV HR policies and procedures.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Education and professional experience
- Master’s degree in Human Resources management, Organizational Psychology, Business Administration, Social Sciences from a recognized University.
- Must be a member of Human Resource Managers Association of Uganda.
- A post graduate diploma in Human Resource management or Public Administration is an added advantage.
- Minimum of six (6) years progressive experience in human resources management or administrative or management experience with an International Non-Governmental Organization or a National Organization.
- Must have a sound knowledge of basic managerial principals and the ability to apply these principals/practices when applicable
- The ability to provide effective leadership and ability to provide appropriate counseling.
- A good working knowledge of program management and budgeting systems and general procedures is required, along with a working knowledge of the human resource development context of Uganda, local employment terms and conditions and labor laws.
- Must possess knowledge of the principles of effective teamwork.
- Ability to work under pressure while managing a variety of administrative, managerial, and personnel issues and meet tight deadlines for high quality products.
- Ability to analyze complex programs and relationships including sensitive issues that may emerge and originating practical solutions for a typical multi-cultural, multi-racial, multidisciplinary organization in a diverse customer-focused team environment.
- Ability to process information using computer-based applications, technology such as software applications–Word, spreadsheets and databases specifically excellent fluency in Microsoft Excel and its multiple functions.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, excellent interpersonal skills, tact, diplomacy, good judgment and extreme flexibility and discretion are critical to maintaining positive working relationships with other colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical skills and writing skills are required to effectively edit or rewrite position descriptions and other classification analysis.
- Previous experience of working in support of local governments to improve service delivery, accountability and capacity building.
- Readiness to start work by November once considered
Job duration will be 27 months with initial one-year contract renewable depending on performance and availability of funding and 3 months’ probation period.