Cufa is an International Development Agency with a focus on promoting financial inclusion and increasing financial literacy and improving economic livelihoods. Cufa has been developing community access to affordable financial services in the Asia Pacific region for nearly 50 years, working cooperatively at grass-roots through to government levels, building capacity in emerging financial cooperative movements to create sustainability, improve lives, and relieve poverty.
Cufa is seeking a Myanmar National for a Senior Engineer/Deputy Team Leader for a 4.5 year project to be based in EITHER Ayeyarwady Region, Chin State, Sagaing State (North), Sagaing State (South) OR Thanintharyi Region.
This role will be responsible for providing in-field implementation support.
The Team Leader will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support the team leader in managing and coordinating the project staff;
- Coordinate with the township engineers in the implementation of the Project;
- Demonstrate with technical support and village level households the conduct of disaster risk assessments;
- Provide training and capacity building inputs to technical facilitators in relation to rural infrastructure and engineering standards;
- Liaise with the Department of Rural Development (DRD) engineers and specialists in writing and ensuring that the priority initiatives proposed by participating communities are in accordance with DRD and ADB policies and are developed with realistic perspectives;
- Ensure that the rural infrastructure interventions proposed by communities are implemented in conformity with Myanmar and internationally acceptable building and construction codes of practice;
- Provide technical assistance to technical facilitators and village committees and ensure that subproject designs are at par with generally acceptable engineering standards;
- Ensure that the materials procured for infrastructure interventions conform to Myanmar standards and codes of civil engineering practice applicable to minor works;
- Train engineers and technical facilitators in the effective use and quality assurance of civil, building, and earthworks works being carried in the implementation of infrastructure subprojects;
- Work closely with the technical facilitators in providing quality assurance to subprojects;
- Monitor progress by PIU of approvals steps throughout the implementation period and provide regular reports to the DRD PMU;
- Ensure compliance by all subprojects to social and environmental safeguards guidelines following the Project manual;
- Monitor compliance with engineering and safeguards standards by village committees and technical facilitators;
- Monitor and conduct spot checks to assess compliance of the infrastructure subprojects with designs and quality requirements; and
Carry out capacity building of PIU counterparts in implementation management.
Degree in civil engineering;
At least 12 years of experience, of which at least 6 years in design and construction of rural infrastructure;
Preferably having experience as deputy team leader;
Preferably having experience of DRM and resilient infrastructure;
Preferably having experience of similar projects;
Preferably having experience in training engineers and technicians in the supervision of direct labor in civil and building construction, and earthworks;
Preferably familiar with the language and/or dialect used by ethnic groups in the assigned township;
Proficient in the use of MS Office and AUTOCAD; and
Good skills in English writing and speaking.