- Serve as the lead technical advisor on economic topics and Provision of support to UNDP country office management, including to help strengthen programme development and implementation.
- Serve as the technical coordinator for the UN Joint Programme and lead on UNDP components linked to the INFF;
- Servie as the lead coordinator for linking technical expertise from the UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub and the UNDP global Finance Sector Hub (FSH) with key stakeholders to enable stronger dialogue and collaboration on financing policies;
- Provision of technical policy advice to national government counterparts, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies.
- Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate.
- Contribution to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas.
- Assist UNDP country office management with preparation and implementation of country programmes and strategies, including the Country Programme Document (CPD);
- Assist UNDP and stakeholders with analysis and interpretation of economic and statistical data, thorough monitoring of trends and application of advanced analytical methods (econometrics, poverty/ welfare/ human development metrics and economic modelling);
- Support UNDP country office teams to develop and manage relevant thematic portfolios, such as activities to support inclusive growth and progress towards the SDGs;
- Offer bespoke technical inputs on COVID-19 impacts and aftermath, on macro policies and recovery options.
- Produce relevant research on standing priority topic areas (social protection, developmental macroeconomic policies, financing for development and Industry 4.0) and promote inclusive and substantiable economic policymaking;
- Provide analysis and research in priority thematic areas at the country level, including through the publication of policy briefs or other analytical outputs;
- Compile and analyse statistical data as required in support of country strategies and activities;
- Collaborate across UNDP teams, especially to ensure linkages to the work emerging from the network of acceleration labs;
- Support the creation of large-scale development solutions to help address complex development challenges.
- Support the development and coordination of signature analytical products such as the National Human Development Report.
- Support and facilitate dialogue on sustainable development issues with government officials, development partners, civil society, and the private sector;
- Support on near term policymaking and the macro stance, with special refence to ongoing work on the covid-19 emergency and inputs on medium term recovery;
- Provide policy and programming advice and support for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels;
- Support the identification and analysis of interventions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time;
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks.
- Help to provide links through other UNDP offices and other counterparts to experiences and innovations in the region and globally, relevant to economic policy issues;
- Lead and prepare the Annual narrative progress reports, Mid-term progress review process, Final consolidated narrative report, after the completion of the UN joint programme in consultation with Senior Management.
- Develop and/or strengthen partnerships with UN agencies, IFIs, bilateral development agencies, private sector entities, and civil society;
- Represent UNDP country office in relevant forums, conferences, or workshops, including to present research or programmatic results;
- Support UNDP resource mobilization and future growth strategies through project pipeline development and design of large-scale programme and development solutions;
- Contribute to national, regional, and global knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Facilitate policy advice in support of achieving the SDGs, Human Development and inclusive and sustainable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and training;
- Collaborate Government-led as well as donor-sponsored research and policy processes with a focus on supporting economic transition and sustainable development.
- Participate actively in the UNDP Asia-Pacific regional network of economists, including through attending regional meetings (in-person and/or virtual), sharing relevant experiences, and conducting peer reviews;
- Substantively contribute as possible to UNDP regional knowledge products and development of programming offers in regional priority areas (e.g., inequality, future of work, innovative financing);
- Enhance UNDP’s understanding and design of new approaches to sustainable development across the region by acting as a regional thematic lead where possible;
- Guide and mentor the junior economist to undertake research, data analysis and draft reports;
- Connect with think tanks, academia and other development partners doing interesting innovative and relevant work.
- Liaise with UN agencies, development partner organizations, World Bank, ADB and other development partners, to maximize collective support and to avoid duplication;
- Undertake and support resource mobilization efforts to support the CPD and the UNSDCF;
- Network regionally and globally using UNDP’s system and others where opportunities lies to stimulate and strengthen policy effectiveness.
- Innovation -Ability to make new and useful ideas work ;Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Leadership -Ability to persuade others to follow Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
- People Management-Ability to improve performance and satisfaction;Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Communication -Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform;Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
- Delivery -Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement;Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
- Econonmic General -Knowledge of economics concepts, principles and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations;Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Economic Planning -Knowledge of Economic Planning concepts and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations;Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Economic Recovery-Knowledge of Economic Recovery concepts and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations ; Level 5:Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Effective Development Cooperation-Knowledge of development cooperation which can then be carried forward into inclusive, country-led mechanisms for development cooperation at national and regional levels ; Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Innovation -Ability to manage organizational resources and deployment in pursuit of innovative approaches and initiatives; Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Building Strategic Partnerships - Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders -Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Resource Mobilization - Analyzes information, identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors -Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Master’s degree in economics/ development economics
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at international level in research and analysis and provision of policy advice and technical assistance (TA).
- Experience of UN or international organizations; knowledge of UN/UNDP, and/or UN/UNDP procedures and approaches, is preferable.
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis.
- High level policy experience of several policy areas: poverty reduction/ inequality; social protection policy reform; inclusive macroeconomics; productivity and industrial policies; green growth and resource economics; private sector development; and urban policy and urbanization.
- Economic analysis skills (or strong awareness/ understanding of) modelling; use of advanced statistics and econometrics; poverty/ inequality and human development metrics; political economy analysis.
- Experience in preparing and writing high quality policy briefs,guidance notes and concise presentations for use by senior policy makers.
- Experience of working with the private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Maldives.
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis.
- Direct experience providing technical advice to government officials.
- Knowledge of the SDGs and their application at the national level.
- Proficiency in English and Dhivehi
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
For clarification and questions please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Take home pay : Approximately MVR 36,800
Contract Duration: 12 months