OVERSEAS DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
Senior Communications Officer – Finance and Inequality
Salary: £34,988 – £41,574 per annum
An independent, global think tank, working for a sustainable
and peaceful world in which every person thrives.
ODI is an independent, global think tank, working for a sustainable and peaceful world in which every person thrives. We harness the power of evidence and ideas through research and partnership to confront challenges, develop solutions and create change.
We are looking for a dynamic Senior Communications Officer to expand the reach, influence and impact of our research and policy engagement on finance and inequality. The post holder will support ODI’s efforts to inform and influence the approach of government, civil society and private sector on these themes – ensuring that our public affairs and communications activities are strategic, creative and coordinated.
The post holder will work primarily with ODI’s Development and Public Financing (DPF) and Equity and Social Policy (ESP) programmes but a key part of the role will be to bring coherence to communications across all ODI’s work on finance, social policy and inequality. This will require working with other programmes on an ongoing basis and playing a leading role in planning for effective communications across a complex portfolio of work as well as working with other Public Affairs and Communications (PAC) colleagues to ensure that the entire portfolio is effectively staffed and delivered.
Key responsibilities include:
· Develop and implement a communications strategy for ODI’s work on finance and inequality
· Horizon-scan, plan and coordinate public affairs activities to further the reach and influence on ODI’s engagement with DPF and ESP policy and practice (including on poverty and inequality, social protection and development finance)
· Build and maintain strong internal and external relationships on relevant themes to drive impact, coordinate common agendas and harness opportunities for policy influence
· Develop and implement a strategic and creative approach to communications for ODI’s research on finance and inequality, working with research leads and project partners
· Work with Programme Directors and PAC staff to ensure communications is effectively budgeted in relevant proposals and task-manage the delivery of key outputs and activities to agreed deadlines and budgets
· Coordinate and deliver a range of events and convening opportunities on finance and inequality projects and initiatives
· Build and retain target audiences, relationships and partnerships within the thematic portfolios
· Contribute effectively to ODI public affairs and communications more widely
You’ll have a strong, working knowledge of – as well as a passion for – policy and practice as it relates to the themes of financing and inequality, including key debates, developments, policy processes and key actors. You’ll have significant experience in strategic communications – working creatively to inform/influence policy outcomes. You’ll be adept at convening – with proven experience managing activities and events – and adopt a digital-first approach to communications. You have excellent writing skills, including a demonstrable ability to summarise technical research in clear, compelling language. You are a natural self-starter – able to generate plans and ideas and carry them through to completion. And your excellent interpersonal skills enable you to work collegially with researchers and partners across different cultures and all levels of seniority.
Closing date: 03 June 2020
Interview date: 15 June 2020
Please note ODI has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to us verifying that you are eligible to work in the UK before you start work.*
ODI is an equal opportunities employer Charity Reg. No.228248**