HIAS seeks a Safety and Security Specialist to support the Safety and Security department in developing and maintaining safety and security programs, plans, policies and procedures within HIAS’ global and domestic offices. The preferred candidate is passionate about HIAS’s mission and has a demonstrated interest in international development and professional/academic experience in international relations, international security, humanitarian contexts or similar. S/he works as part of a small team delivering best practices in safety and security risk management for HIAS staff, assets, and programming in the United States and internationally.
- Helps develop reports to share with HIAS about the efficiency of security policies and recommends changes, as necessary.
- Works with Safety and Security department to ensure that all security systems are current with software or hardware changes within HIAS.
- Assists in documenting all security related information that may be relevant for HIAS’s programming.
- Works with Safety and Security team to implement and train staff on proper security measures, globally; coordinates and facilitates training, as necessary.
- Conducts research to produce assessments and analysis on regions and countries HIAS is working in or planning on working in.
- Stays abreast of regulatory safety and security standards in operational locations.
- Delivers accurate, timely, and relevant safety and security information to support delivery of HIAS objectives.
- Drafts internal communications for HIAS staff about safety and security events, which may affect staff, assets, or programming.
- Assists in the implementation and supports compliance with safety and security related policies including HIAS’s Global Travel Policy.
- Works with the Safety and Security team to complete back-office functions to enable provision of safety and security management services.
- Conducts research on security issues, succinctly briefs leadership on security matters that may impact HIAS objectives.
- In collaboration with the Safety and Security team, develops and maintains HIAS’s safety and security information management system.
- Helps conducts threat and risk analyses of HIAS areas of operations.
- Organizes and coordinates security trainings and briefings for HIAS staff and associated personnel.
- Works with Safety and Security team to develop a culture of safety and security risk management across HIAS.
- Keeps up-to-date on natural disasters in operating locations.
- Serves as a backup to the HQ Office assistant by answering phones and directing callers to appropriate departments, as necessary.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in Development Studies, International Affairs, Security, Terrorism, or other relevant field; similar degree at graduate level, preferred.
- Excellent communication and written and oral briefing skills.
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience working in the humanitarian space, preferably overseas.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in Spanish and/or French strongly preferred.
- Background in safety and security management; experience of risk assessment, incident reporting, incident mapping, information collation and analysis, and security technology is a plus.
- Overseas work experience in insecure and/or hostile environments a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 20% to country offices often to complex and insecure working environments is required.
- Experience with data management tools including data visualization software highly desired.
- Excellent writing, research, and organizational ability.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.