Position: Safety & Access Officer (Re-advertisement)
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Period of Contract: 1 year with possibility of renewal subject to availability of funding and performance review
Experience Level: A minimum of three years’ experience providing field-based safety & security support to humanitarian agencies, preferably in Somalia.
Degree Required: Minimum: Bachelor’s (or equivalent), Masters an added advantage.
NCA is seeking a highly qualified and motivated person to fill the above-mentioned position.
I. INTRODUCTION OF NORWEGIAN CHURCH AID - NCA
Norwegian Church Aid is an independent humanitarian and ecumenical organization with headquarters in Oslo, Norway. Norwegian Church Aid works together with people and organizations across the world to eradicate poverty and injustice. NCA provides emergency assistance in disasters and works for long-term development in local communities. In order to address the root causes of poverty, NCA advocates for just decisions by public authorities, business and religious leaders. We help those whose needs are greatest, regardless of ethnicity, creed, political or religious affiliation.
NCA is a member of the ACT Alliance, one of the world's largest humanitarian alliances, with presence in over 130 countries. The alliance consists of church-based organizations throughout the world and cooperates with organizations across religious faiths. We are now seeking an engaged colleague who will work with us "Together for a just world".
NCA has been operating in Somalia since 1993. NCA Somalia’s country strategy 2020-2024 covers five thematic areas: Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (CRWASH), Gender Based Violence (GBV), Peace Building, Climate Smart Economic Empowerment and Education for Sustainable Development (PB). NCA works in Jubaland State, Puntland State and Banadir Regional Administration.
II. GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
NCA is seeking an experienced and dynamic Safety and Access Officer who will ensure the security of all NCA resources in Somalia, including its people, assets and programs.
The position is a one-year contract with possibility of extension depending on funding availability. The position is based in Somalia with frequent travel within Somalia. This is a nationally recruited position.
The incumbent is expected to conduct ongoing analysis of the situation and any perceived threats to inform personnel movement, security of all resources and program strategy and implementation, will provide guidance on and engage herself/himself in capacity development support provided to partners and other stakeholders, will ensure conflict sensitivity and incorporation of a do-no-harm approach throughout project activities of NCA Somalia. He/she will contribute to ensuring successful functioning of project activities, development of technical tools and resources, annual work planning and budgeting, reporting, and sharing of insights and lessons learned with internal and external stakeholders, as appropriate and ensure networking/coordination with other actors working on security in the targeted areas.
· Monitoring and Reporting
· Monitor the situation in Mogadishu, specifically, and Somalia in general. This will include;
a. Monitoring Somali and international media on a daily basis in order to obtain pertinent information, translating it to English where necessary, and distributing it as required.
b. Liaise with other humanitarian actors on the ground in order to obtain information pertaining to the safety & security situation in Somalia.
c. Assist the NCA Roaming Security Advisors (RSA) to crosscheck or follow up on information/incidents.
· Report this information in a daily report to the NCA Roaming Security Advisors.
· Prepare and send a biweekly report every Sunday to the Roaming Security Advisors.
· Participate in the preparation of other reports in collaboration with the NCA Roaming Security Advisor as requested.
· Report any critical information or incidents in Mogadishu immediately to the most senior NCA staff in location at the time and/or the Roaming Security Advisor.
· Analysis and Assessment
· Conduct analyses and prepare reports as tasked by the line manager.
· Provide technical support to NCA Roaming Security Advisor for context and situational assessments.
· Support project teams to conduct risk, threat and vulnerability assessments.
· Briefings and Trainings
· Regularly brief staff on security developments within the area of operations.
· Provide oral briefings to new and visiting staff, upon arrival, on the prevailing situation and existing security protocols.
· Participate in INSO- Somalia briefings/meetings and advice NCA Senior staff and partner staff accordingly.
· Assist in delivering safety & security training.
· Security Management Planning
· Assist with the drafting, implementation and updating of safety & security plans.
· Manage the access control of the office compliance
· Security Compliance
· Assist RSA on reviewing compliance of security policies and procedures in Somalia.
· Monitor adherence to location security plans and SOPs, provide feedback to the individual staff members involved and report to respective line managers, if necessary.
· Crisis Management
· Assist the NCA Senior staff in Mogadishu, in liaison with the Roaming Security Advisor, to coordinate and technically support the local Crisis Management Team.
· Provide updated reports on the crisis or emergency as requested by the line manager, including threat/risk analysis.
· Assist in coordinating security-related and medical evacuations in Somalia.
· Assist in all arrangements of visas and airport pick up in collaborations with the security provider in Mogadishu
· Liaise with airport authorities and immigration in facilitating staff movements
2. Core Values and Critical Competencies
· Personal initiative.
· Team player.
· Proactive and reliable.
· Presentable, friendly, patient, persistent and firm.
· Ability to plan, coordinate and work with limited on-site supervision.
· Ability to assess situations critically.
3. Working Conditions
· The position holder will be subject to multi-directional demands and should be able to manage their time effectively.
· The job requires the holder to be available beyond the official working hours.
· Occasional tasks/travel may expose the position holder to risks.