Job Function: International
Resident Senior Program Manager for Elections: Myanmar
The National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks an expert civic organizer with statistically-based observation experience to oversee the implementation of a large DFID and USAID funded domestic election monitoring program in Myanmar. The Resident Senior Program Manager will report to NDI's Resident Senior Country Director. Based in Yangon, the Senior Program Manager will assist civil society organizations in observing and reporting on elections in Myanmar, especially the national elections expected to be held in November 2020.
This position will provide and facilitate international technical assistance to Myanmar citizen observer groups and oversee the management of subgrants to support electoral strengthening programs by Myanmar and regional civil society organizations.
This is an accompanied posting in Yangon, Myanmar; candidates with accompanying spouses and children are invited to apply. A successful candidate would ideally begin in May 2020.
- Manage the implementation of NDI's domestic observation election program in Myanmar;
- Provide and oversee strategy, organizational development, methodology and other technical assistance to election observation groups;
- Assist local civil society groups with organizational and managerial development by providing training in strategic planning, staff development, internal organization, and communication strategies;
- Through consultations and training sessions, assist civil society groups in the design and implementation of methodologies to monitor multiple aspects of the election process, and analysis and reporting on election monitoring efforts;
- Provide day-to-day management, oversight, and development of the elections team in the Yangon office;
- Maintain relationships with key partners in civil society, government, international implementers, and the donor community;
- Along with the Country Director, represent the NDI program in meetings with donors, other international organizations and domestic monitors to coordinate election observation plans; and
Consult regularly with Washington-based staff on program progress and submit timely field reports to the Country Director and NDI/Washington that monitor and measure program results and political developments.
Master's degree preferred in international relations, political science, or relevant subject area;
Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in civic organizing, as well as with statistically-based domestic election monitoring, election campaigns and/or civic participation;
Program management, proposal writing, and financial management experience required, including experience initiating and managing grants;
Practical experience in organizational development and nonprofit management;
Experience in training and workshop facilitation;
Experience living and working overseas and an ability to work in a challenging environment is highly desirable, as is previous experience in Asian countries;
Experience in implementing USAID and DFID-funded programs;
A demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political and statistically based analysis to programmatic activities; experience analyzing election data and/or public opinion surveys a plus;
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior political and civic leaders as well as members of the donor and diplomatic community;
Excellent managerial, interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to conduct professional political relationships;
Strong oral and written communication skills in English and ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor, and consultant;
Experience working in a multi-cultural work environment and promoting staff development;
Ability to adjust programmatic activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders; and
Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications; experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.