Job Function: International
Department: Middle East & North Africa
Job Description - Resident Country Director
The National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks a Resident Director with strong political acumen and management skills as well as experience positive youth development, civil society advocacy, enhancing government accountability and transparency processes, to provide direction and oversee the implementation of its democracy support programs in Lebanon. The ideal candidate should also have the proven capacity to build and maintain donor and partner relations. The resident director in Lebanon reports to NDI's regional director for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). This position is based in Beirut, Lebanon but would require travel elsewhere within the country.
The director will provide leadership and oversight to a team of talented and experienced national staff. S/he will be NDI's principal liaison with the donor community, representatives from the Lebanese government, local political and civil society organizations, and the international diplomatic and donor community. The director will be responsible for overall office management, including financial and human resource management, as well as supervisory responsibility for the design, implementation, and evaluation of all NDI-Lebanon programs. Close coordination will also be expected with NDI-Washington, including frequent communication with the Washington-based staff.
- Provide overall leadership and vision for the design and implementation of NDI's programs in Lebanon with the support of resident national staff and in coordination with NDI staff in Washington, DC
- Establish and maintain strong working relations with the donor and diplomatic communities, international organizations, and in-country partners, including political and elected officials and local civic organizations
- Manage frequent external and internal communication to produce high-quality program reports and effectively coordinate program activities
- Manage the successful implementation of NDI program activities, including evaluation and reporting
- Lead donor engagement and fundraising efforts for new programs
- Oversee the proper accounting, management, and planning of budget funds in coordination with the local accounting and NDI/Washington staff
- Manage local employees, including hiring, performance reviews, staff development, program implementation, and adherence to human resource policies
- Coordinate, with NDI/Washington, timetables and staff assignments for developing proposals, budgets, work plans, and reports and ensure documents reflect NDI priorities, strategy, needs, and objectives
- Coordinate regular informal and formal communication with NDI/Washington on program and political developments, including regular program and financial reports
- Provide, as needed, skills-building training and informal consultations for political, elected, and civic leaders
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related subject
- A minimum of ten (10) years of total experience primarily in a political field, with experience working to expand youth political participation, enhance political party and parliamentary capacity, and/or bolster civil society involvement in open governance reforms
- Experience in program management, with experience implementing U.S. government-funded programs preferred
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial, administrative, and security responsibilities
- Proven ability to effectively communicate skills and experiences to others as an advisor and/or trainer
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to political developments and programmatic activities
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior political and civic leaders as well as members of the donor and diplomatic community
- Demonstrated experience in navigating and ensuring compliance with host country legal and reporting requirements
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal, and networking skills, as well as the ability to establish and maintain professional political relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership capacity and ability to work as a member of a team
- Oral and written English skills required
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired
To apply please visit our website at www.ndi.org/careers .
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusivework environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs,jobrequirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of thisposition, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.