Are you passionate and knowledgeable about the potential of finance to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals? Do you have in-depth understanding of how rating and rankings influence responsible and impact investing, and, in turn corporate behaviour? The World Benchmarking Alliance (WBA) is looking for a: Research Lead, Financial System Transformation.
The private sector has a crucial role to play in advancing the sustainable development goals (SDGs), but to boost companies’ contribution, there needs to be change in the way that their impact is measured. That’s why WBA develops benchmarks that will compare companies’ performance on the SDGs. WBA has identified seven systems transformations that are needed to put society and our economy on a sustainable path, including a Financial System Transformation. Our incoming Research Lead will play a fundamental role in building a Financial System Transformation Benchmark. This will involve assessing 400 global financial institutions on their contribution to reorienting the flow of capital to accelerate the economy’s transition toward long-term sustainable development. Working with a global team, the Research Lead will ensure the Benchmark builds on the work of others and measures what is needed to accelerate action towards system transformation.
What you will do:
- Lead the technical development of the benchmark: informing the final set of topics to be included and addressed, drafting and redrafting the methodology; establishing and testing market-aligned indicators; driving data collection, company analysis and company calls;
- Examine and evaluate all topics, including indicators and incoming questions, in coordination with the Benchmark Lead, to ensure alignment with stakeholders’ needs and expectations, as well as market alignment (building on existing frameworks whilst also advancing the discussions);
- Decide weighting of indicators in coordination with an Expert Review Committee and the Benchmark Lead;
- Ensure quality of the methodology and framework, building on best practices and the work of WBA Allies;
- Coordinate and motivate a team of analysts, setting priorities and ensuring quality and consistency;
- Author and actively contribute to Financial System Transformation presentations and publications;
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on technical elements related to the Financial System Transformation, supporting external representation and knowledge exchange at conferences, meetings, etc.;
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of our internal (WBA) research capacity and processes.
Our Research Lead:
- Has significant relevant experience in ESG/sustainability/impact research, preferably with background in (related) data disclosure;
- Understands key issues and perspectives in the Financial System. Has experience working with or for a range of financial institutions, and can demonstrate understanding of asset classes and their impact potential. Experience in quantitative analysis is an advantage;
- Is able to interpret and advise on scoring, ranking, comparative and time-series analysis and evaluation;
- A team player able to demonstrate having worked successfully across teams, leading without authority, showing flexibility whilst meeting deadlines and an active interest in collaboration;
- Thrives at working in a fast evolving (multi stakeholder) environment, a self-starter that has a positive attitude and is able to plan and set priorities, is effective in a remote working environment;
- Has excellent writing, reviewing and drafting skills, in written and spoken English.
An inspiring, dynamic and highly impactful role, with room to grow in a driven team focused on mission, ambition and teamwork. We stimulate personal growth, believe in flexible working arrangements and you will receive market-based employment benefits. We have an office/presence in Amsterdam and London and colleagues all over the world. Inclusivity is one of our values, so you could be based anywhere.