Research Communications Advisor
Background to GOAL.
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a team of 2,400 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 13 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
GOAL has an annual budget of an estimated €100 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Governments of Ireland, UK, USA, the European Union, individuals, trusts and foundations. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.
The Learning and Communications Advisor will lead the analysis and communications of GOAL’s programmatic learning. Working closing with the relevant county team/ technical expert, s/he will create papers that summarise the impact of GOAL programmes for internal and external audiences.
Reporting to Dir. External Affairs, the Learning Advisor will work very closely with the communications team to co-create and position impact stories in peer review and sector journals, websites, as well as mainstream media. This role will require regular engagement with the business development, fundraising and programme teams. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly organised, self-motivated professional with a strong interest in global development and communications.
- Conduct comprehensive review of project/programme evaluations to create learning papers to create a summary of findings and learnings relevant for multiple audiences.
- Review all year-end programme reports and end of programme/project reports to capture relevant learnings.
- Ensure all Learning Papers, and briefing documents are appropriately filed and accessible to staff.
- Act as a focal point for the development of any new organisational resources on programmatic learning.
- Support in the preparation and design of documents for submission to all external stakeholders including Government Departments, donors, and corporate partners.
- Develop and regularly update summary documents on GOAL programmes and projects, with key activities, outcomes and impacts and infographics.
- Work with in-country teams, PTT team and others to translate complex technical documents into well-written and engaging content suitable for a wide range of audiences.
- Support the organisation with key learning initiatives to profile GOAL’s unique added value to the sector with synthesis papers, and external events including webinars, seminars, annual conferences or workshops, presentations that have strong programmatic learning and communications focus.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a role that demonstrates a good track record in report writing, researching and presenting to internal audiences.
- Experience with effective learning and development methods
- Good knowledge of e-learning platforms and practices
- Experience in the development or humanitarian sector
- Strong organisational skills and proven track record working with multiple teams
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills incl. the ability to interpret and represent numeric, financial or other information visually
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment across several locations
- Proven track record of effective project management in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to summarise large sets of data and technical information into concise and tailored reports for various target groups
- Highly organised and able to manage multiple, simultaneous demands and able to work in a fluid environment and adhere to deadlines.
- Relevant third level qualification.
- Previous experience working in a communication and learning role in the sector is highly desirable.
- Excellent ability in the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and aptitude to learn to use new software. Proficiency in PowerBI highly desirable.
- Specific technical knowledge or experience of INGO approaches, thematic areas or countries.
- Fluency in Arabic, French, Spanish and/or a language spoken in any of GOAL’s operational countries.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to the safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.