The Enabling Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC) is dedicated to helping Iraq build a more peaceful, sustainable, and democratic society. We accomplish this by advocating policies that further Iraq’s prospects for peace and democracy, and through partnerships with civil society leaders seeking a brighter future for all generations of Iraqis.
EPIC is seeking two part-time, highly qualified and motivated individuals with solid Arabic language skills to fill the Summer 2021 Remote Research and Communications internship positions.
Start date: June 1, 2021
End date: August 31, 2021
If you are a student, these dates can be negotiated to match your university’s schedule.
As we implement our peacebuilding initiatives in Iraq, our interns work closely with the Program Manager and the Executive to carry out and maintain the necessary advocacy, research, fundraising, and administrative frameworks for those projects.
- Research and summarize daily political, humanitarian, economic and security developments in Iraq.
- Regularly support publishing our weekly Iraq Security and Humanitarian Monitor (ISHM) report.
- Create dynamic and engaging written content for EPIC’s website, blog, social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram), and email communications.
- Occasionally assist EPIC staff in the production of the IRAQ MATTERS podcast, including recording, editing, and promoting new episodes.
- Assist in updating website content and applying tools for Search Engine Optimization.
- Assist in managing and updating EPIC’s supporter database and email lists.
- Assist in the development of written foundation and corporate proposals.
- Monitor the latest UN and INGO findings and the administration’s policies toward Iraq.
- Attend virtual congressional hearings and think-tank briefings and share summaries with the EPIC team.
- Provide general administrative support as well as additional responsibilities as assigned.
If you are looking for a challenging internship where you will see the results of your work, EPIC is the place for you. We highly encourage active dialogue and discussion about topics related to Iraq, the Middle East in general, U.S. foreign policy, and humanitarian relief efforts. Our interns receive as much from the program as they are willing to give.
- Demonstrated interest and familiarity with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, especially Iraq, on humanitarian, security, and development issues
- Excellent research and writing skills, with excellent attention to detail and the ability to process multiple tasks at once
- Ability to thoroughly research topics and find answers with limited instruction
- Proficiency with Google documents and Microsoft Office is required, experience with WordPress, Canva, HTML, and/or Adobe Photoshop is preferred
- Self-motivated, curious, flexible, diligent, detail- and team-oriented
- Experience with grassroots advocacy and organizing is preferred
- Proficiency in reading Arabic is required
- A sense of humor is a strong plus +
This is a remote and unpaid internship.**