**Please send proposals to the Manager, People Operations, Camille Phillips, at email@example.com, no later than October 20th, 2020. No proposals should be submitted via this portal.**
At Last Mile Health, we dig data.
Last Mile Health seeks consultancy support from an individual or firm with experience planning, developing, and managing complex data systems to help shape the vision for the next generation of Last Mile Health’s data portal, known as Last Mile Data 2.0 (LMD 2.0). Working with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Team, the consultant will help determine the technologies and personnel the organization will deploy to meet its global data needs. The consultant will engage key stakeholders at Last Mile Health to understand data use needs across the organization and propose two costed options to meet identified needs.
About Last Mile Data
The LMD Portal was developed to collect, store, and report on data captured during the monitoring and evaluation of our Liberia-based programs. It has since been expanded to include other indicators, data, and reports from across the organization. Every month, 30,000 permanent and unique new records, mostly Liberian community health worker and supervisor programmatic and supply chain, are uploaded to a relational database and reported on. Most of these records are generated by mHealth devices operating in remote communities. The rest are manually entered into web forms. There are over a million permanent and unique records stored in the relational database, along with several hundred thousand impermanent records that are generated and overwritten periodically for reporting.
- Commitment – 3 months approximately with an immediate start date preferred
- Location – Remote
- Remuneration – Please include your overall proposal cost in USD within your application materials. The consultant will be paid 30% of their fee upon completion of task 2 and 70% upon completion of task 5.
What You’ll Do
The following scope of work describes the key tasks to be accomplished through this consultancy.
TASK 1: Convene a kick-off call with key members of Last Mile Health leadership and the MERL team to present the scope of work and work plan, respond to questions, and revise the work plan as needed.
Deliverable: Convene Kick-off Call to present work plan
TASK 2: Conduct a comprehensive review of LMD, including a desk review of existing documentation that describes LMD and through consultative sessions with Last Mile Health staff who lead LMD development and maintenance, including our Data Architect and Liberia MERL Director. Develop an interview guide and conduct learning calls with with similarly sized NGOs or organizations working in the humanitarian or public health sectors to: 1) understand the technical features of their data systems; 2) learn from their experience in developing and maintaining data systems, including but not limited to level of effort and costs funding required; and 3) identify data system features that could be beneficial to LMD 2.0. Generate a report that includes a description of LMD, documents the strengths and weaknesses of the system, and summarizes learnings from other organizations that can inform LMD 2.0.
Deliverable: Report describing the strengths and weaknesses of LMD 1.0 and summarizing learnings from other NGOs that can be applied to LMD 2.0.
TASK 3: Using plain language, engage appropriately 20 stakeholders groups at Last Mile Health to: 1) assess and document data system’s needs; and 2) map current data systems and data sources. The consultant will develop a semi-structured interview guide that includes questions and probes designed to obtain information to feed into the Task 3 deliverable. The interview guide will be reviewed and approved by Last Mile Health prior to the consultant conducting the interviews. Last Mile Health will offer support making introductions between stakeholders and the consultant.
Deliverables: Interview guide and synthesized notes from stakeholder interviews
TASK 4: Translate stakeholder feedback to two recommendations for the design of LMD 2.0 data systems-- the first option will be the minimum viable product and the second will include additional functionality that may be beneficial to Last Mile Health based on identified needs. At a minimum the system descriptions must include a list of requirements, specifications, high-level design documents, and recommended implementation technologies. The report must also include line-item costs for all system components and services and recommend staffing levels to develop and maintain the system. The report must be appropriate for and understood by technical and non-technical audiences and clearly indicate how the system will meet the needs of end-users. Revise report as requested by reviewers.
Deliverables: Report describing user needs, technical requirements, and two-costed system recommendations
TASK 5: Present report findings system recommendations to key stakeholders at Last Mile Health in a format that is appropriate for technical and non-technical audience members. Respond to questions from presentation attendees. Revise, as relevant, based on feedback and/or questions from presentation attendees.
Deliverables: Presentation and revised report.
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in computer or information science or a relevant field.
- 10 or more years of progressive experience designing, developing, and managing complex data systems with an emphasis on cloud and distributed databases, data warehouse, or other data architectures.
- Previous experience leading or consulting on an organization-wide strategic planning of the architecture and implementation of a complicated data system.
- Strong technical project management experience and a deep understanding of SDLC.
- Demonstrated experience working with health information systems and health data in low and middle income settings, where internet connectivity may be limited or unstable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate at all levels of technical and non-technical management and other stakeholders.
Individuals or firms with experience in designing, developing, and managing complicated data systems, are encouraged to submit a proposal. Proposals should include at a minimum:
- Methodology, plan, and intermediate deliverables to accomplish scope of work
- Time-bound work plan (Scope of work should be completed in approximately three months. Please include your estimated weekly or monthly hours.)
- Resume, CV, and/or consultant profile
- Summary listing of similar projects completed by the consultant that qualifies you to do this work
- 2-3 client references who can speak to your relevant experience.
- Overall proposal cost in USD
Proposals should be no more than 5 pages in length and should be submitted as a single PDF inclusive of all supporting documents.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Malawi, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.