The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality.
In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Norwegian Red Cross aims to provide access to quality healthcare, basic assistance and water and sanitation services for those displaced, returnee and vulnerable host communities affected by armed conflict.
Norwegian Red Cross contributes to build the capacity of National societies in MENA as well as supporting their WASH programmes focusing on providing the affected population with access to emergency WASH services, and on raising awareness to promote healthy WASH practices and the proper use of water and sanitation facilities. The integration and synergy between health and WASH sectors is vital and should be promoted within the National Societys structure and ensured in programmes’ designs at all times.
The purpose of the position
Norwegian Red Cross’ WASH portfolio represents a large share of its budget in the MENA region, focusing on both physical infrastructure rehabilitation and improving access to safe drinking water and safer hygiene practices. The regional WASH delegate will focus on improving access to safe drinking water and safer hygiene practices primarily in Iraq, Lebanon and Syria.
Two strategic objectives for the position
· Ensure that humanitarian projects reflect established technical standards and advice on the implementation of those standards and best practices.
· Train and coach Norwegian Red Cross and Host National Society teams in thematic frameworks and relevant technical standards and support the operationalization of those standards.
Some operational responsibilities:
· Keeps abreast of developments in the global technical environment and contributes proactively with other technical personnel to Norwegian Red Cross global efforts
· Carries out regular field monitoring and provide recommendations and assistance on project improvements
· Liaises with the Host National Societies technical and project teams to ensure relevance.
· Provides trainings and coaches National Society project staff of established technical standards when needed.
· Advices the regional and country offices on the prioritization in the relevant technical field.
· Enables regional and country office colleagues to understand and make use of available technical tools and methodologies.
· Provide technical support to quarterly and yearly country reports.
We seek a person who;
· quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
· demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in own area and participates in continuous development
· communicate in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
· uses a methodical and systematic approach; plans ahead, define clear priorities and allocate resources effectively
· adheres to company rules and procedures; execute plans with commitment and determination; achieves high quality results
· collaborate well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
Higher University Degree in relevant technical discipline including civil engineering, water and sanitation engineering or environmental health engineering. Equivalent technical experience can substitute for qualifications but not vice versa.
· In-depth understanding of WASH technical standards and the operationalization of those standards in humanitarian projects.
· Successful and proven experience from building technical capacities of colleagues and partner organizations.**
· Experience from working in conflict and volatile settings preferable. Travel to volatile contexts under specific security arrangements to be expected.
· English work proficiency is required; Arabic is a strong asset.
· International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
Deputy Regional Representative MENA, based in Beirut Lebanon
Position is based in:
· 24 months’ contract, possible with extension.
· This is a family mission but security arrangements in Lebanon are subject to changes and restrictions on international personnel, including presence of dependents, may be imposed.
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: Youll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.