The United Nations (UN) Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is the UN Secretariat department responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to complex emergencies and natural disasters. OCHA also ensures that there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
OCHA’s mission is to:
Mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies.
- Advocate the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
OCHA Sudan addresses and facilitates issues relating to coordination, communications and humanitarian financing, and serves the entire humanitarian community. In doing this, OCHA works with the Sudanese Government's Humanitarian Aid Commission (HAC) and other government counterparts. OCHA provides support to the Humanitarian Coordinator (HC) and the Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) in Sudan. Working with the entire humanitarian community, OCHA looks to foster a conducive operating environment that facilitates the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance (both material assistance and protection assistance). Crucially, OCHA promotes compliance with humanitarian principles in the humanitarian response. This is an essential element of effective humanitarian coordination and is central to establishing and maintaining access to affected populations, particularly in conflict-affected areas of Sudan.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Administration unit, the HR Associate will assist in supporting the operations team on HR issues and other operational matters and resolving complex HR-related issues and information delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support recruitment processes through UNDP - including drafting job description, provision of input to job classification process, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, participation in interview panels, taking notes in panels, submission of recommendations to Career Review Board and follow ups.
- Tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivities, recoveries, adjustments, cost recovery bills and separations through UNDP.
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table and organigram.
- Provide support on full compliance of records and reports with UN rules, regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework.
- Support on CO HR business processes mapping and streamlining internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management
- Provision of information to the management and staff on rules and regulations and benefits/entitlements to staff members.
- Assist the CO in following up with OCHA New York and Geneva on recruitment and other HR issues.
- Support the office in following up on interagency issues through HR working group.
- Maintain accurate reports on numbers of posts advertised and recruited.
- Maintenance of the rosters including e-rosters.
- Regularly update the recruitment tracking system and follow up on recruitment actions with relevant units
- Maintain updated Job Classification files ensuring that all positions are not processed unless going through the proper classification channels.
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table.
- Support the office on Learning plan and career development issues. This includes managing learning database
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on HR issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in HR.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully.
Ability to persuade others to follow: Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value.
Ability of work under extreme pressure and multi task, on occasion in highly stressful environment and demonstrated ability to formulate conclusions/recommendations.
Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion; Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs.
Planning & Organizing
Ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in HR.
- University Degree in HR, Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years with Secondary education, or 3 years with Bachelor's degree of progressively responsible HR and/or administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in both oral and written English and Arabic.
- UNOCHA is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- UNOCHA does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension