The overall objective and expected outcome of the Support to confidence building across the Nistru river through advanced cross-river capacities for trade project is to secure that men and women on both banks of the Nistru River have better livelihoods and living conditions, due to an improved cross-river cooperation to access the opportunities offered by Moldova’s external trade arrangements, contributing to an environment of trust and cooperation across the post-conflict divide.
To achieve this, the intervention focuses on delivering the following specific outputs:
Output 1. Improved cross-river exchange of information, knowledge, experience and understanding of the opportunities provided by DCFTA to companies from the Transnistria region
The project plans to draw on the experience achieved by the business community from the right bank in making use of the DCFTA instruments and transfer it to the left bank, connecting these business communities.
Output 2. Increased export activity of the business community from the Transnistria region as a result of better export promotion capacities and access to cross-river export support opportunities
As a result of the improved capacity and competitiveness of MSMEs from the Transnistria region, they are expected to intensify their export activity and penetrate new markets or expand on the existing ones.
Output 3. Micro, small and medium-sized enterprises across the Nistru river, in particular those led by women and benefitting vulnerable groups, are enabled to produce more competitive products
As the small business sector, being the backbone of every sound economy, is underrepresented in the Transnistrian region, the project will seek to expand the MSME sector in the region by supporting a number of start-ups and young companies with a particular focus on benefitting women and vulnerable groups.
The intervention will directly address one of the main priorities established within the United Nations Partnership Framework for Sustainable Development 2018–2022, agreed with the Moldovan Government, in particular, Outcome 2: The people of Moldova, in particular the most vulnerable, have access to enhanced livelihood opportunities, decent work and productive employment generated by sustainable, inclusive and equitable economic growth. It will also be in line with UNDP’s Country Programme Document for Moldova, in particular Output 2.2.: Women, youth and people from regions with special status benefit from better skills, access to resources and sustainable jobs and livelihoods. Also, it would support Moldova’s progress towards the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals 1, 8,9,10, and 16.
Project duration is envisaged between 2018- 2021.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Inclusive Growth Cluster Analyst, the incumbent provides effective and efficient coordination of the Support to confidence building across the Nistru river through advanced cross-river capacities for trade project, through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Manager will work in close cooperation with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Manager will work under the supervision of the Inclusive Growth Cluster Lead and will ensure the provision of development services and products commensurate with the scope of the Project and assigned area of responsibility of the highest quality and standards to national and local counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. The Project Manager will also liaise directly with the project team on a regular basis, consisting of up to 3 persons, as envisaged in project organizational chart.
More specifically, he/she will be responsible for:
Ensuring effective content and operational management of the project
- Oversee day-to-day operations and implementation of project activities;
- Exercise close monitoring of project activities and produce monitoring reports;
- Ensure the timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products, as per the Project Document, leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Develop Work Plan, periodic narrative progress and final reports and expenditures status reports and submit to the supervisor;
- Ensure the implementation of the activities under the Project work plan according to indicators for achieving planned results, as well as the overall management of the Project in line with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Support UNDP CO in effectively managing human resources pertaining to the Project, including staff, consultants and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid team of professionals;
- Support the efficient management of the Project financial resources, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Continuously record and maintain Project issues and risks and suggest mitigation measures.
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study visits and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Project;
- Maintain a continuous effective dialogue with the key stakeholders, central and local government authorities, other UN agencies and actors active in the sector, CSOs, partner organizations, international and national experts in the areas of the Project intervention in view of identifying synergies and avoiding overlapping of assistance;
- Maintain a close collaboration with other related UNDP programmes to ensure synergies and complementarities;
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the programme activities to the mass media and stakeholders and support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local, national, and as required at international levels;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation and evaluation of the Project as required.
Knowledge Management and Sharing
- Assist in coordinating the exchange of information internally and between relevant project stakeholders;
- Ensure timely and proper documentation of the programme implementation process and products produced in accordance with the UNDP guides;
- Capture and disseminate good practices locally, nationally and as required internationally;
- Provide required substantive and administrative support in organizing / conducting variety of programme activities and events.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Support to confidence building across the Nistru river through advanced cross-river capacities for trade project. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standard;
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions;
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy
- Extensive experience in managing a multidisciplinary team
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in business administration, economics, public administration, international relations, development studies or related areas. Additional training and certification in project management and/or business administration would be an advantage.
- At least 8 years of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of programmes and/or working in a relevant position to this post.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience is required at the national or international level in areas related to business development and support;
- Work experience in Transnistria region is a very strong advantage.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters:
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: by December 31, 2020, with possibility of extension