Based on a long-standing partnership and UNDP previous experience in implementing large and medium-size EU funded urban upgrading and infrastructure projects in the northern part of Cyprus, the European Commission requested UNDP to continue supporting this type of infrastructure projects through the establishment of a new instrument called “Local Infrastructure Facility”.
The Facility will help identify, screen, mature, prepare for tender, and implement local infrastructure investments, targeting the funding on competitive basis to ensure best value for money and providing support also to those communities with a lower technical and administrative capacity. This will in turn result in a greater positive impact on the standard of living of local populations and increase the visibility of EU interventions in the priority areas.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager (LIF), the Project Engineer (LIF) provides services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Project Engineer promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Engineer works for the LIF project in close collaboration with the operations, programme/projects’ staff in the office and with UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Elaboration of implementation plans
- Preparation of technical studies, employer’s requirements and designs
- Support during procurement process for works
- Monitoring and supervision of construction works
- Knowledge sharing
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall quality and timeliness on the implementation of identified and selected LIF investments.
Ensures elaboration of implementation plans
- Support to the LIF project manager in the development of detailed individual plans for each selected intervention allocated to the engineering specialist, including procurement and disbursement plans.
- Monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the individual project plans and proposing revisions when needed.
Ensures quality of technical studies, employer’s requirements and technical designs and compliance with standards to be used
- Preparation, under the supervision of the LIF project manager, of terms of reference for the elaboration of required designs.
- Assistance to the LIF project manager during the selection of the service providers (companies).
- Monitoring the work of service providers, including day-to-day communication, quality control and providing inputs to the Project Manager and Procurement Analyst for vendor performance.
- Follow-up on the issuance of Visas and Construction Permits and all other necessary permits.
- Ensuring proper communication and inclusion of stakeholders in all aspects related to this key function.
Provides effective support throughout all stages of procurement processes
- Collation and preparation of the all technical documents.
- Assisting the Procurement Analyst in the preparation of the procurement documents.
- Submission of procurement checklist for approval to PM and Head of Programme
- Participation in the evaluation of bids – assessment of bidder’s competency and experience as per the ITB requirements.
Oversight of construction works and supervision
- Participation in the selection process of the Engineers (Supervision of Works)
- Responsible in ensuring for each project that the implementation of works is compliant with the contract stipulation, including technical specifications, drawings and bill of quantities.
- Monitor the work of the Engineers to ensure full compliance with the contract stipulations
- Ensuring, in case of Design and Build contracts, that the preparation of the design is in line with the Employer Requirements and follows all standards in force.
- Conducting site visits to monitor progress of works and their quality and as such control the work of the Engineer. During such visits, he/she will also control that the contractor is abiding to the health and safety plans approved at the beginning of the works.
- Organise and conduct regular site visits with stakeholders, namely with project’s Advisory Board members.
- Taking all measures in line with the general and special contract conditions to reduce the risks of claims from construction companies.
- Ensuring that all documentation on site is kept according to the contract stipulations.
- Controlling all documents submitted by the Engineer with emphasis on making sure that methods of measurement are sound and that payment certificates are correct.
- Adequate filing of all documentation related to each project according to UNDP Cyprus standards
- Organising external spot checks on the site as part of the quality assurance mechanisms.
- Reporting to the LIF project manager the progress of works and contracts.
- Conducting the hand-over procedures.
- Providing inputs to the Project Manager and Procurement Analyst for vendor performance.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Knowledge in supervision of main design preparation for infrastructure projects
Supervision of works
- Strong knowledge in the supervision of works and work contracts
- Excellent knowledge of project/procurement cycle management, especially for construction works and design works for construction
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Knowledge of anti-corruption concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Master’s degree in civil engineering or related field.
Master’s degree in civil engineering or related field.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in Greek and/or Turkish is required.
- Valid car driving license.
- Nationals or other legally authorized to work in Cyprus.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension