FAOSEC aims at enhancing the agricultural productivity and advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through their improved tenure, management, development and conservation. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future demands for agricultural products, while ensuring the long-term sustainability of the land and water quantity and quality. It promotes equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, livelihoods and ecosystem services. It provides assistance to member nations in developing policies, programmes, best practices and tools in the fields of irrigation and drainage, soil conservation, drought mitigation, water rights, access to natural resources, and improvement of land markets.
The Adaptation Fund (AF) was established under the Kyoto Protocol of the UNFCCC, and since 2010 has committed US$ 720 million to climate adaptation and resilience activities, including supporting 100 concrete adaptation projects. FAO has been accredited with the AF in 2020 and intends to proactively play a key role mobilizing resources. Within the above context, FAO is seeking the support of a Consultant for the preparation of the AF proposals for review by the Secretariat and approval by the Board.
The purpose of this call is support Uzbekistan at the preparation of project proposal for AF.
Under the general supervision and guidance of Natural Resources Officer, the Consultant will contribute to the preparation of the Concept Note and full project proposal for Uzbekistan.
Supporting the formulation, drafting, development, and submission of the full project proposal for Uzbekistan based on prepared Concept Note.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Provide assessment for climate change adaptation and disaster readiness activities, with focus on adaptation strategies as they relate to land and water governance, natural resources management, regional climate change and water networking, and environmental governance activities through the review of current national strategies in Uzbekistan;
• Conduct research and develop a summary on the existing projects led by the international organizations and to make the assessment of the national strategies relevant to the CN’s topic in Uzbekistan;
• Develop, maintain and strengthen working relationships with key partners, including national ministries, local governments, international organizations, other donors, the private sector, NGOs, universities, and the media in order to identify and implement efforts to increase synergy among the key stakeholders;
• Organize and coordinate project related meetings, reviews and site visits;
• Jointly with the national consultant identify the scope and geographical area of the project intervention;
• Supervise the national consultants and their potential contribution to the development of the CN;
• Prepare and submit the first draft of the project concept note as per the Adaptation Fund’s requirements for technical clearance to FAO Lead Technical Officer afterwards with AF HQs unit and then for endorsement by the Uzhydromet and Ministry of Agriculture;
• Prepare the agenda and participate at the consultative meetings with national counterparts (both at national and sub-national levels), line ministries and key stakeholders for the fully-pledged project document development;
• Prepare and submit the first draft of fully-fledged project document according to the template from Adaptation Fund;
• Revise and finalize the first draft of fully-fledged project document based on the feedback received from final validation workshop;
• Participate in field missions if required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in Economics, development studies, environmental/agricultural sciences, political science, social science, international relations, business administration or a related appropriate field
• 3 years of relevant experience in climate finance and project/programme planning and monitoring, including practical experience in project formulation, appraisal, implementation, monitoring, communication and/or in financial and budget planning
• Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. For PSA, only working knowledge of one FAO language is required.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work
• Extent and relevance of experience in project/programme formulation
• Extent and relevance of experience in results monitoring and reporting
• Familiarity with climate finance mechanisms