Bhutan is prone to multiple natural hazards like earthquakes, Glacial Lake Outburst Floods (GLOFs), floods, flash floods, fire, windstorm and landslides, due to its unique geophysical characteristics. Climate change is projected to significantly magnify the intensity and frequency of these hazards, as has already been evidenced by for example the glacial lake outburst flood of Lugge Tsho in 1994 and more recently the high intensity cyclone Aila which caused major damages in Bhutan in 2009. The National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA) 2012, Second National Communication 2011 and National Human Development Report 2011, prepared by the National Environment Commission (NEC), gives an account of the number of recent climate-related disaster events that have impacted national and local economies and livelihoods.
The Kingdom of Bhutan launched the NAP (National Adaptation Plan) process in 2015 with the aim to advance NAP formulation for medium to long term and implementation, as well as to put in place a robust implementation monitoring and evaluation system. The NAP will build a stronger evidence base for adaptation by undertaking comprehensive assessments especially looking at the issue of water resources, building scenarios, studying both indigenous and emerging adaptation interventions and building a stronger investment case for scaling up adaptation. The Government will work with universities and different ministries and ensure consultative processes with communities, with UNDP as its partner for the next 4 years.
The NAP project will support the Royal Government of Bhutan (RGoB) to advance its NAP process by building on existing capacities and enhancing institutions already in place for adaptation planning through the following outcomes:
The formulation and implementation of Bhutan’s NAP will be led by Climate Change Division, National Environment Commission Secretariat (NECS), in collaboration with key partners such as Gross National Happiness Commission Secretariat, Ministries of Agriculture and Forests, Economic Affairs, Health, Home and Cultural Affairs, National Centre for Hydrology and Meteorology, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Royal Institute of Management and Royal University of Bhutan.
The project will be implemented following UNDP’s Direct Implementation Modality (DIM), according to the Readiness and Preparatory Support Grant Framework Agreement between UNDP and the GCF. The Project Management Unit (PMU) will be housed at the UNDP country office.
Under the overall guidance of Chief, CCD and the direct supervision of the Project Manager/ Technical Coordinator for NAP, UNDP Country Office, the Project Associate will provide assistance to the Chief, CCD and Project Manager/ Technical Coordinator for NAP, in the day-to-day project management and regular monitoring of project results, including operations of the project related to missions, organization of workshops, meetings, financial support and budget etc. The Project Associate will be placed at Climate Change Division of the National Environment Commission Secretariat. However, as and when required the Project Associate is required to work from UNDP.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
1. Support with the overall operational management and delivery of the work-plan for successful implementation:
- Support the Project Manager in the overall management of the project implementation, project team and tracking of timeline and budget;
- Support with the review and oversight of financial progress reports and payment requests;
- Support with the coordination with NAP Technical Working Group (TWG) and Project Board regarding Project Board meetings, recording of minutes and report writing; and
- Support Chief, CCD in the overall management of the project and any other assignments instructed to be undertaken.
2.Support with logistical functions:
- Support with the coordination of workshops and meetings throughout the NAP process and delivery of training;
- Assist national, international, short-term consultants by organizing their travel schedules, arranging meetings with different stakeholders and booking hotel accommodations; and
- Follow up with GNHC and Department of Immigration for the timely issuance of GNHC approval, electronic visa and route permit for international, short-term consultants.
3.Support with administrative functions:
- Draft necessary correspondence with local and international agencies and stakeholders;
- Assist in the timely issuance of contracts and assurance of other eligible entitlements of the project personnel and consultants;
- Prepare annual procurement plan and follow up for timely delivery of project related procurements;
- Maintain and update all Project related documents and files for future reference and record;
- Maintain a roster of ongoing consultancies for timely delivery of outputs through regular follow up; and
- Provide other substantive support to the team for overall implementation.
- Compile and verify budget and accounting data by researching files, calculating costs, and estimating anticipated expenses;
- Support Project team in preparing the annual work plans;
- Prepare financial status reports, progress reports, and others in line with GCF reporting requirements;
- Prepare financial reports and documents as per specified formats, project, programme plans and general reference documents and general administrative/financial or specialized tasks related to the project which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility.
Impact of Results:
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/ programme implementation
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions
- Responds positively to new approaches
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Establishing effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member; and
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in climate change, environmental science, public policy, natural resource management, economics, sustainable development, management, and related fields.
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience preferably with projects/ programmes related to environmental conservation, climate change adaptation, sustainable livelihoods or any other related field
- Previous work experience with a UN agency would be an asset
- Ability to multi-task and work in a team, good interpersonal skills, flexible attitude and ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to take initiative, and to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Proficiency in using computer applications (word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, e-mail etc.);
- Strong organizational skills.
Language:Excellent writtne and oral competency in English and Dzongkha
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 year (Extendable)