The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP operates in 177 countries, working with nations on their own solutions to global and national development challenges.
The UNDP Libya CO response to the ongoing crises focuses on two main programme areas are concentrated in two main pillars: Transitional Governance in support of the ongoing UN action plan: political dialogue, reconciliation and transitional justice, elections.
Investment in building the institutional capacity of public institutions today to perform core functions of the state in Libya to deliver socio-economic recovery and cope during the ongoing crisis: Capacity building support in rule of law, policing, line ministries (ministry of planning), civil service reform.
Another pillar is the Stabilization and Resilience: this is focusing on quick reconstruction of cities affected by war as well as building resilience of communities: delivery of basic services, local economic recovery.
The project “Capacity Strengthening Initiative” (CSI) is intended to enhance the functional and technical capacities of the Ministry of Planning of Libya, to prepare a Public State Reform study for Libya and to prepare a Libyan National progress report. The main partner for this project is the Ministry of Planning.
The Project Assistant will report to the Project Manager and provide support to all aspects of the project implementation.
Assist Project Administrative management, Financial management, delivery of project activities and project procurement.
Project Administrative management
- Provide support to international advisors in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, hotel reservations, etc).
- Maintain records on all project personnel and local consultants and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, sick leave, vacation, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the programme activities;
- Draft minutes of Project Board meetings;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Steering Committee, Technical Working Groups, among others);
- Draft terms of reference, concept notes and other background papers as requested by the Stabilization Project Manager.
- Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project
- budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Respond to queries from the Government and UNDP with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- In accordance with the work plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies
- and services;
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
- Maintain an equipment and spare inventory including verification and transfer when required.
Strong professional and organizational skills; good interpersonal skills essential
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure;
- Experience with a UN agency/project is an asset.
Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and project implementation and reporting.
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with operational-level officials of the host government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job.
Secondary school certificate is required and first level University Degree in relevant fields is desirable in administration, management or other substantive area is an asset.
Minimum six years of experience in General Administration or related field including financial management;
Excellent computer skills and ability to operate under pressure;
Experience of working in Development Sector, especially UN, would be an asset.
Fluency in English required. Arabic language skills is an asset.
Contract Duration: One Year