Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and overall guidance of UNDP Assistant Resident Representative / Head of Programme as well as Deputy Resident Representative, the Project Analyst analyses social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, implementation, management and evaluation of programme activities in the HIV/AIDS project. She/he ensures the efficient and smooth implementation of project activities by project implementing parties. The Project Analyst is responsible for monitoring and evaluating the project activities in line with UNDP’s rules and regulations and the Global Fund’s policies, rules and regulations. She/he is also responsible for providing support to Project Manager on planning and management of the Global Fund projects by managing data and facilitating programme implementation. The Project Analyst will undertake substantive and analytical work to ensure optimal project monitoring and evaluation support. The Project Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach and functions in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project staff in the Country Office and Implementing Partners.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of programme strategies as related to the Health and Development portfolio of the Country Office;
- Contribution to the management of the CO programme with a focus on the HIV/AIDS portfolio including, but not limited to, strategies for HIV initiatives and implementation of HIV Work Plan and M&E Plan;
- Effective backstopping to other M&E functions in Country Office when required;
- Creation of strategic partnership and contribution to resource mobilization strategy of the country office to ensure access to the Global Fund and other resources to further address the HIV/AIDS epidemic; and
- Provision of high-quality advisory services to the project implementing parties and other national partners and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
1. Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Thorough research and analysis of country’s situation regarding the HIV/AIDS and the National Strategic Plan on HIV/AIDS (NSP) and preparation of substantive inputs to HIV/AIDS programme of the country office;
- Analysis and synthesis of programme related information to provide support to the programme interventions within the ambit of Health and Development Cluster of the CO.
2. Participates in effective management of the CO programme within the practice area of specialization focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme to ensure the achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for preparation of work plans, M&E plans, budgets, closure plan and effective application of RBM tools;
- Conducting M&E activities such as field visits for On-Site Data Verification and preparing reports and recommendation for better implementation and quality assurance purposes;
- Close monitoring of the project work-plan, substantially and financially, analyzing the progress and providing the project team with constructive recommendations;
- Provision of guidance to the implementing partners on routine implementation of projects, review of technical and financial reports to make sure that they are in line with the approved work-plan and budget assumptions;
- Reviewing, analyzing and verifying progress reports, and requests for procurement of goods and services presented to UNDP by project implementing parties and provide feedback on thereto;
- Follow up on performance indicators/success criteria, targets and milestones, and preparation of reports;
- Regular monitoring of project within Atlas system and generating required reports from Atlas for monitoring purposes;
- Organizing regular and ad hoc technical meetings with implementing partners in line with implementation of project activities;
- Providing guidance to implementing parties development of project Action Plan, giving advice on minimum requirements for supporting documents of project activities and so on;
- Preparing periodic reports such as Progress Update/Disbursement Requests (PU/DR) and any other ad hoc reports as required by the donors and stakeholders or instructed by Project Manager and UNDP Senior Management;
- Cooperating with the Local Fund Agent team throughout the PUDR verification process, collecting all supporting documents and making necessary corrections in case of discrepancies;
- In collaboration with the Programme Support Unit and Operations team, analyzing the projects to identify operational and/or financial problems and help develop best solutions;
- Applying adequate control on the supporting documents for payments, review of project reports to ensure the quality of implemented activities and compliance with TORs;
- Verifying that payment request submitted by implementing partners are within the approved budget lines and in compliance with the project work plan;
- Maintaining the internal expenditures control system to ensure that all expenditures match with allocated budget in the work plan and collaborating with finance team for necessary corrections;
- Contributing to internal and external audits, project evaluations and other assessments and the preparation of management responses and audit/evaluation action plans;
- Updates the project related folders on the UNDP Iran share-point portal for the purposes of vital records of Business Continuity Plan;
- Preparing meeting/workshop agenda and proceeding reports as instructed by the supervisor; and
- Providing backstopping support to the supervisor and other team members as required;
- Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
3. Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analyzing and researching information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
4. Provides high quality advisory services to the Government and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme linked to programme country policy goals;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Professional growth through active learning; and
- Supporting the project manager to prepare the up-to-dated information for uploading onto UNDP Iran website.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RBM is a bonus
Advanced university degree medical and social sciences, programme management or other relevant fields of knowledge preferably with specialized certification in health-related areas.
At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in Farsi and English, both written and spoken.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: Six months with possible extension