UNDP is committed to making gender equality, a basic human right and a necessity for a sustainable world, a reality. Women's empowerment and gender equality are vital to achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which envisions a world “of universal respect for human rights and human dignity” in which “every woman and girl enjoys full gender equality and all legal, social and economic barriers to their empowerment have been removed.”
The UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2018-2021, the third such strategy, provides a road map to elevate and integrate gender equality into all aspects of UNDP's work to reduce poverty, build resilience and achieve peace in communities and territories, helping to accelerate progress towards the 2030 Agenda. In particular, the strategy delineates the UNDP commitment to: a) Strengthen UNDP interventions tackling structural changes that accelerate gender equality and women’s empowerment; b) Strengthen the integration of gender equality into UNDP's work on the environment, energy and crisis response and recovery; c) Better align UNDP programming with the centrality of gender equality and women’s empowerment to the achievement of sustainable development; and d) Build upon institutional mechanisms for gender mainstreaming such as the Gender Equality Seal and the Gender Marker, which provide measurable standards and incentives to drive development progress.
Somalia is launching its new National Development Plan (NDP9) as its roadmap to achieve peace and inclusive development. The Ministry of Women and Human Rights Development (MOWHRD) wants to ensure that women are key participants and recipients in the implementation of this plan. UNDP Somalia, in line with its corporate mandate, is fully committed to strengthening the capacity of the MOWHRD, in partnership with other UN agencies, to contribute to the achievement of the Gender Equality and Women Empowerment (GEWE) agenda.
The Federal Government of Somalia’s commitment to the GEWE agenda is sealed through the endorsement of the Somalia Women’s Charter which captures a joint commitment by Somalia women representing government entities, civil society organisations, academia, women networks, and marginalized women – including women with disabilities. The Charter reflects a strong commitment to transformational change.
In order to implement the Charter, the MoWHRD and UNDP Somalia developed the Strengthening Capacity of the MoWHRD to deliver on GEWE as per the NDP and SDGs initiation plan. This plan is aimed to strengthen the capacity of the MOWHRD to anchor effective coordination, monitoring and accountability to secure an effective delivery of the Somalia GEWE agenda. It will include the roll out of research to inform a baseline, instigate the practice of measuring impact and increase visibility of the issues at hand – based on evidence. With enhanced capacities the MoWHRD will be able to strengthen enforcement and effective implementation of new policies and legislations. In addition, the project initiation plan will put in place the initial framework that will seek to empower the MoWHRD to effectively and sustainably engage with the key GEWE stakeholders across Somalia.
A project manager is required to manage the implementation of the Project Initiation Plan.
Under the overall guidance of the portfolio manager for Economic Recovery and Institutional Development and supported by the Senior Gender Advisor of the Somalia UNDP Country Office, the Programme Specialist will provide strategic direction and technical guidance for the implementation of the PIP.
The Programme Specialist will also supervise a small team of a Project Officer, administrative staff and consultants. Key however will be the partnership with relevant government counterparts – particularly with the Ministry of Women & Human Rights Development- civil society partners and learning institutions. The engagement will take place in close partnership with other UN entities and partners of the MOWHRD.
Summary of Key Functions
- Effective strategic management of Project Initiation Plan Development
- Strategic Policy Advice and Coordination
- Resource Mobilization and Partnership building
- Facilitates knowledge generation and sharing
Provides effective management of the Project Initiation Plan ‘Strengthening capacity of the Ministry of Women and Human Rights Development to deliver on GEWE as per the NDP and SDGs’’:
- Facilitate and coordinate relevant capacity enhancement interventions for the MoWHRD and its partners to action the implementation of the GEWE agenda through the identification and development of key indicators, sex-age disaggregated data, and gender-responsive budgets required to measure and report the advancements on the GEWE agenda as per the NDP and SDGs;
- Facilitate capacity enhancement of the MoWHRD to develop and lead on an integrated strategy to prevent and respond to Gender-Based Violence, bridging humanitarian, recovery and development contexts to enhance security for women, girls and those most marginalized;
- Support the conceptualization and formulation, with support of the Senior Gender Advisor, of a multi-year project document aimed at ensuring that GEWE legislations, polices and strategies are implemented, monitored, and evaluated through an empowered MoWHRD;
- Lead the recruitment of consultants and monitor implementation of their work ensuring expected results stated in the Project Initiation Plan are met;
- Appropriately manage financial resources required for the implementation of PIP activities in line with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Carry out a rigorous monitoring of PIP interventions, in close collaboration with M/E specialist and provide regular quality narrative and financial reports -in collaboration with financial support team of the Effective Institutions Portfolio in UNDP Somalia;
- Monitor political, economic and social developments trends and issues affecting women’s rights in Somalia to inform the implementation of PIP activities;
- Support knowledge building and sharing at the country office on gender equality focusing on achievements, lessons learned, and methodologies utilized in the implementation of the PIP;
Support Strategic Policy Advice and Coordination:
- Facilitate the adoption of coordinated approaches across the different expected outputs of the PIP on a regular basis with a view to overcoming bottlenecks and facilitating synergies.
Support to Resource Mobilization and Partnerships Building:
- Identify and follow-up on strategic opportunities for resource mobilization for the implementation of the three-year project aimed at ensuring that GEWE legislations, polices and strategies are implemented, monitored, and evaluated through an empowered MoWHRD;
- Build strong partnerships with donor agencies on Somalia focusing on gender issues to ensure coordination and support to government’s GEWE vision;
- Ensure regular communication with and timely reporting to the Head of the Effective Institutions Portfolio, the senior gender advisor, and partners;
- Participate in relevant UN meetings (e.g. Gender Theme Group (GTG) and the SGBV sub working group as per guidance of the Gender Advisor;
- Represent, where required, UNDP in activities to highlight key gender equality and women’s human rights issues and advocate for integration of gender equality issues into the development agenda;
- Maintain relationships with UNDP’s partners including donors, government agencies, and NGOs, as it pertains to the implementation of the PIP.
Facilitates knowledge generation and sharing:
- Identification and formulation of lessons learned from the implementation of the PIP and recommendations to be integrated into the multi-year project document;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Support trainings on gender advancement, gender equality, women’s empowerment, Gender Based Violence and other women’s issues.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Ability to persuade others to follow: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time; participate effectively in a team; manage complex problems proactively and effectively, including responses to field based emergencies; in-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues; proven networking, team building, organizational and communication skills; IT competencies in Word, Excel, Power Point and the internet
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback; consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude; demonstrates strong analytical and management skills; demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure; acceptance of additional responsibilities and capacity to work under pressure
- Master's degree in social policy, public policy, politics, economics, development studies or a related area
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in recovery and development, with special focus on addressing the promotion of gender equality, women’s empowerment and human rights protection and promotion in crisis and post-conflict countries;
- Experience with the Somali Government and in dealing with traditional/conventional Somali legal systems is an asset;
- Experience in gender and human rights programme coordination with the Somali Government is desirable;
- Experience working with the UN preferred and good knowledge of UNDP rules and procedures is desirable;
- Strong diplomatic skills in handling government counterpart and donor relations is an asset;
- Knowledge of Somalia context is desirable.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 364 days