The UNDP Pakistan is seeking a highly motivated candidate for the post of Programme Specialist, Rule of Law for Supporting Rule of Law for Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies (Amn-o-Insaf) Programme, based in its Program Management Unit, Peshawar. He/she will provide technical advice, direction and supervisory support for the implementation of the Rule of Law Programme in Pakistan. The Programme Specialist will report to the Programme Manager, who reports to the Assistant Resident Representative, Democratic Governance Unit, UNDP.
The Programme provides support to the justice and security sectors in Pakistan. It aims to promote an enabling environment that will deepen the on-going efforts to secure peace and stabilization through greater service delivery and public confidence. The Programme covers both demand and supply sides of the rule of law, justice and security sector. The Programme helps institutional development and capacity development to rule of law, justice and security institutions aimed to ensure effective security services and speedy provision of justice services. The Programme also works in the area of alternative dispute resolution, supporting informal resolution of issues in an equitable and just manner. In doing so, the Programme engages with key stakeholders including Judiciary, Police, Prosecution, Bar Council, Bar Associations, CSOs and other on-going initiatives, including other UNDP projects and UN agencies.
The Programme Specialist will have several key responsibilities. S/he will provide technical and policy advice on rule of law related issues and for programme management. This will include ensuring quality control of all material produced by programme team. The Programme Specialist will represent UNDP in technical forums, support resource mobilization and donor coordination on rule of law. The Programme Specialist will ensure coordination and coherence throughout the programme implementation process and supervise a team of output leads. Implementation will also require close engagement with the Programme operation’s team to ensure bottlenecks are identified early and jointly solutions are found to ensure delivery targets.
This role will require the following:
Programme Overall Direction:
- Provide substantive and strategic-level inputs on Programme interventions;
- Assist implementation management functions, including supervision of the programme team through guidance, technical advice and quality assurance;
- Provide technical advice and quality assurance on the work of the implementing partners via substantive feedback and guidance;
- Coordinate the overall delivery of Programme in an effective, efficient and collaborative manner;
- Work closely with the government counterparts, rule of law institutions, development/ UN/ international partners, and national and international non-governmental organizations;
- Support strong monitoring and evaluation and review all substantive reports;
- Support the assessment of impact, effectiveness and relevance of the Programme’s interventions through regular field visits and highlight achievements, progress and challenges through impact and results-driven reports;
- Initiate concept notes, proposals and other documents for resource mobilization;
- Review reports initiated by programme team including donors’ reports, annual reports, completion reports, terminal reports, and donors’ briefs;
- Engage in substantive and technical discussions on the rule of law, justice, security, conflict resolution and peacebuilding;
- Carry out rule of law, justice, security, conflict resolution and peacebuilding field assessments aimed to explore new areas for interventions;
- Assist UNDP in following up and coordination with national partners, donors and development partners;
- Perform any other relevant duties and responsibilities as requested by the Programme Manager and UNDP.
- Must have strong technical background in area of rule of law and justice chain (legal aid, judiciary, law enforcement, prosecution, legal empowerment, gender and alternative dispute resolution) with strong knowledge of the sector, including current systems, policies and frameworks in place, past reform efforts and plans for ways forward;
- Can provide strategic level advice for the programme’s direction and support results;
- Can provide crisis-sensitive analysis to all rule of law work undertaken to ensure respect for the UN’s ‘Do no harm” principle.
Resources & Resource Mobilization:
- Be part of the UNDP team to support resource mobilization efforts for the programme, including identifying funding opportunities;
- Support delivery targets through regular meetings programme and operations teams to identify any challenges and devise solutions.
Knowledge Management and Policy Development:
- Identify sources of information related to policy-driven issues;
- Identify and document best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to rule of law and access to justice programming in Pakistan;
- Contribute to UNDP global knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The incumbent of the position will uphold the non-discriminatory behavior and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings, etc
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
Ability to persuade others to follow
Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Leads team effectively to deliver and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Can work across teams to resolve challenges that may arise in implementation;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and composed even under pressure; and
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills:
- Builds strong relationships with national partners and external actors;
- Communicates effectively with staff at all levels of the organization;
- Produces high quality report writing and analysis;
- Proves outgoing and comfortable in handling external relations at all levels;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrates compelling communication skills and cross-cultural effectiveness;
- Demonstrates excellent political / conflict analysis, experience in bilateral and/or multilateral negotiations, and negotiating and training / facilitation skills;
Knowledge management and learning;
- Promotes a knowledge-sharing and learning culture in the office;
- In-depth knowledge on development issues related to rule of law;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
- Strong IT skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office software and experience with web-based management systems; and
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and effect staff behavioural/ attitude change.
- Displays gender sensitivity and promotes gender equality in all aspects of work
- Knowledge of systems for gender mainstreaming and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situation.
- Must hold a degree a Master’s degree in law, political science, social sciences or related field.
- A minimum of 07 years of progressive experience in rule of law, justice, security, conflict resolution and peacebuilding.
- Must have experience of work with rule of law and justice sector institutions;
- Formal qualifications and operational exposure/experience in justice sector reforms, policing, access to justice, legal reform, gender, advocacy, and capacity building;
- Experience working in a crisis/conflict area will be an advantage;
- Experience in planning and execution as well as monitoring and evaluation of projects/programs strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with UNDP’s rules and procedures for project/program implementation is an asset;
- Familiarity with UN/UNDP policies, programming frameworks and procedure is an added advantage; and
- Sound analytical skills on political, legal, social, cultural and any other relevant issues.
- Fluency in English and Urdu including excellent writing skills.
HEC attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees.
Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to(i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment, orii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants bank accounts
"UNDP has zero tolerance towards Sexual Harassment (SH) and Sexual Exploitation & Abuse (SEA)”.
Contract Duration: 1 year