The International Renewable Energy Agency is an inter-governmental organisation headquartered in Abu Dhabi, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENA’s mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a centre of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 161 Members (160 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 22 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
Within this mandate, the focus of the Knowledge, Policy and Finance Centre (KPFC) is on collecting data, developing knowledge platforms and conducting analysis to support the creation of enabling environments for investment and growth in renewables. This entails analytical work on policy and finance, building a gateway to knowledge, giving input to advisory services that the Agency provides to its member states and at regional levels, and targeted engagement with the private sector and civil society.
Within KPFC, the Policy Unit provides policy-relevant and forward-looking analysis on renewable energy trends and developments to strengthen the business case for renewable energy, highlighting the contribution of renewables to broader policy objectives. The Unit focuses on specific analytical gaps and develops new knowledge that can support informed decision-making.
Under the supervision of the Head of Policy and overall guidance of the Director of Knowledge, Policy and Finance Centre, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Design and conduct studies of renewable energy policy and related economic trends, providing insights and recommendations to various policy-making target audiences (e.g. regional, local) to accelerate the deployment of renewables and to promote sustainable development;
- Draft cutting-edge analytical reports and documents related to the assessment and identification of emerging trends in renewable energy policy, including in the context of broader macroeconomic, investment and energy trends, and develop tailored outputs in support of IRENA’s related policy work;
- Undertake research on challenges and opportunities to promote the integration of renewable energy-based solutions in countries across sub-sectors (power, industry, transport, etc), taking into account new measures being introduced both in international and national development policies, especially as they relate to countries in different regions;
- Support the analysis of economic value creation in the context of renewable energy deployment that addresses the sector’s contribution to overall value added within an economy, such as growth and local content, as well as additional variables to be determined, taking into account the overall economic benefits that the renewable energy sector provides established markets and those with nascent renewable energy industries;
- Develop draft policy recommendations for countries or regions as applicable;
- Attend international, regional and national meetings to hold discussions with representative governments, non-government organizations and other international organizations, as well as academia as applicable to the work of the policy unit;
- Prepare speeches or other inputs for presentation by senior staff;
- Prepare documents and materials as needed to disseminate analytical work and policy conclusions resulting from the Unit’s activities;
- Undertake and assist in the preparation of national policy roadmaps or sectoral analyses that provide the basis for advising national governments on the deployment of policies to promote energy transitions.
Professionalism: Has an excellent knowledge of economics or energy economics along with the knowledge of policy and market trends across a range of renewable energy technologies and issues of renewable energy deployment. Has a good understanding of macroeconomic issues along with knowledge of value creation, trade and structural change. Has a proven ability to undertake high quality research as demonstrated by a publications record. Has a sound understanding of policy processes in the energy sector and more widely for socio-economic development (including SDG processes) at the national and international level. Demonstrates ability to conduct independent research on related topics, determines suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns, shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Excellent drafting skills in English is an essential requirement for this position. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Accountability: Takes ownership for all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes ownership of delegated responsibilities and authorities; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors on going developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed.
Education: Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics, , energy policy, or engineering, with a strong emphasis on quantitative analysis. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in policy research, policy programme development, statistical analysis and interpretation and report writing , preferably related to the energy sector or the links between energy and development policy more broadly; a proven track record of producing peer-reviewed publications and evidence of profound understanding of the renewable energy sector would be an asset; experience in international co-operation and in dealing with multilateral agencies and forums.
Language: Excellent command of written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of other languages is desirable.
IRENA reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
Qualified candidates must apply for the above-mentioned vacancy on-line, through IRENA’s recruitment platform, Taleo by submitting a complete and comprehensive CV and a letter of interest, including details of three professional references who will be contacted if their application is shortlisted.
Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for an interview and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process.