ARK Group is a stabilisation and development company committed to empowering local communities and beneficiaries in conflict, post-conflict, and fragile areas through the provision of evidence-based programmatic interventions, policy recommendations, research and capacity-building. Working with and through local communities, we seek to understand and then mitigate the negative effects of conflict and instability, enhancing social social cohesion and resilience whist promoting human security, development and economic opportunity with a focus on the following UN Sustainable Development Goals – Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions, Reduced Inequalities, Gender Equality and Partnerships for the Goals.
ARK’s approach combines mixed-methods research with strong, consistent engagement with local communities and stakeholders to bridge the gap between the aspirations of local communities and the priorities of governmental and multilateral actors, thus informing the design and implementation of relevant interventions. Utilising innovative quantitative and qualitative methodologies to generate data, we deliver, monitor, evaluate and learn from our programming.
ARK believes in enabling local communities to realise their aspirations and potential through the participatory design of projects and programmes that address the drivers and causes of conflict and instability. We are responsive and accountable to the communities we work in because so many of our staff and partners are from those communities.
We value inclusive, academically-rigorous, ethically-driven research and participatory design. We are innovators and incubators, finding and nurturing solutions in cooperation with our partners, whilst seeking to bridge the gap between our donors and the communities they wish to support. To the traditional project management disciplines of Economy, Effectiveness Efficiency and Equity, we add Empathy.
With over twenty nationalities in the company, we embrace diversity, nurture opportunity and leverage the youthful enthusiasm of our staff, whilst drawing on the experience and expertise of our more senior staff. We believe in hard work, delivering results that everyone can be proud of, and caring for each other. Our staff are our biggest asset and their welfare is our first priority.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
As the regional Programme Manager you will support and empower the project teams working across our Middle East programme, particularly in our Beirut and Amman offices, but also supporting teams working in other countries. This will include leveraging your own project management experience in the development sector to provide advice and support to your team, encouraging them to grow professionally, but also being there to resolve any issues and to get hands on if required. You will also provided a governance oversight function on behalf of the Senior Management Team, ensuring that projects are achieving their objectives and that donor compliance requirements are met. A key part of your role will be mentoring your team, and we are looking for a competent, experienced and nurturing individual who thrives in a leadership position. You will also represent ARK locally to our clients and partners, identifying and building new relationships and opportunities to help us grow our portfolio.
- Provide continuous oversight of the project cycle and identify need for adjustment and improvement of systems and processes to improve efficiency, the optimal utilisation of resources and improve quality of deliverables. Review and approve all changes in project plans.
- Assume overall accountability for project delivery, work plan management, project-related paperwork and a high standard of reporting to the donor.
- Ensure all internal and contracted periodic reports are completed on time and to a high quality in accordance with ARK and donor requirements.
- Work with other members of the team, to ensure commitment of adequate resources from approved budgets to support project implementation, and ensure that budgets are spent in accordance with donor funding and donor regulations within the appropriate timeframe.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure all activities are being implemented on time.
- Coordinate drafting and provide final review and approval of all major written project deliverables prior to dissemination or submission to the client.
- Supported by the M&E team, oversee project monitoring and evaluation against overall goals, specific objectives and contracted deliverables.
- Ensure regular interface, coordination and liaison with donors and clients to provide accurate, relevant and timely reporting on project implementation, impact and development opportunities.
- Ensure all staff related issues of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with ARK’s and the donor’s policies and guidelines. This includes recruitment, performance management, L&P, security, staff development and training, and disciplinary action.
- Liaise and coordinate across ARK project teams, headquarters and country offices to encourage sharing of knowledge and resources and effective programme synergies.
- Support the programme’s engagement with clients to ensure activities are always aligned with their intent.
Ensure the Senior Management Team are fully briefed and cognisant of the portfolio, including key successes, obstacles and opportunities for growth and learning.
A minimum of 10 years’ professional management experience, in a operations management or project/programme management role.
Experience in the areas of stabilisation and development
Demonstrated experience in project cycle management, project-level monitoring and evaluation, programme budgeting and development and design across a range of projects, as well as active management of diverse teams and cultures.
Previous experience programme managing government-funded (including multi-donor) projects.
Proven planning, assessment and analytical skills. Excellent report and proposal writing skills, supported by a high level of attention to detail and the ability to compile comprehensive reports for donors.
Excellent English language skills. Arabic language would be beneficial, but is not essential.
Minimum of first degree, post graduate degree desirable.
Able to demonstrate success in the following competencies:
- High personal adaptability, proactivity, and problem-solving ability, with the ability to work in a fluid environment.
- Tact, social skills, and effective inter-personal communication.
- Commitment to team-building and ability to develop other team members.
ARK Group places human dignity at the centre of its development and stabilisation work and is thus committed to the protection from sexual exploitation and abuse of children and adults. All ARK employees and related-personnel are expected to share this commitment, and only those who also uphold these values will be recruited as part of our team. This vacancy is therefore subject to a range of due diligence checks.