Internship at the secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu
ProtectDefenders.eu - The EU Human Rights Defenders mechanism is looking for a 'Programmes' intern.
Based at the Secretariat's office in Brussels, the intern will provide support to the Programme and Administrative teams, under the overall supervision of the Head of Secretariat.
TASKS TO BE PERFORMED DURING THE INTERNSHIP
The intern will carry out a variety of tasks related to the purposes of the EU HRD Mechanism coordination and implementation, which will provide an opportunity for learning and achieving relevant work experience in the field of human rights at global and EU levels both from a programmatic and an administrative perspective.
• Carry out first screening of applications received;
• Prepare summaries of applications;
• Support in follow up and monitoring processes;
• Support in communication with different actors, including
applicants, partners and other stakeholders in relation to the
• Prepare various data for analysis and maintain up-to-date
information within related folders and database;
• Participate in meetings, preparing summary and briefing notes;
• Ad hoc translation support;
• Provide support for the organisation of activities and events;
• Support in the management of contact mailboxes;
• Support for updating the website and social media;
• Entering and coding accounting data (scanning and filing);
• Assisting with resolving of accounting issues (contacting suppliers for documents, resolving open entries in
• Supporting the move of payroll data to a new social secretariat
• Organizing of the server and physical administrative files through support towards systematization procedures (including historical data)
• Studies (master's degree) in law, international relations, social
sciences or related field or recent graduate.
• Experience in human rights would be an asset, especially with a
local human rights organisation on the ground.
• Knowledge of EU institutions, UN procedures and regional
mechanisms for the protection of human rights would be an
• Good drafting and editing skills. Social media and website skills
are an asset
• Ability to handle confidential or sensitive information.
• Ability to adapt to multidisciplinary work in the environment of a
• Fluency in English and French, oral and written.
• Fluency in Spanish, Arabic, or Russian would be an asset.
• Committed to the defense of human rights
• Good interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
STARTING DATE AND CONDITIONS
• Preferred starting date: As soon as possible. Ideally 15 October.
• Duration: Six months, with possibility of extension up to 12 months
• Conditions: Following CIP or University agreement
• The candidate needs to have permission to do an internship in Belgium.
ProtectDefenders.eu is funded by the European Union and implemented by a Consortium of 12 NGOs
Front Line Defenders
Reporters sans frontières