UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Ukraine UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society in advancing gender equality through implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. UN Women Ukraine implements interventions towards the realization of following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of women, peace and security agenda and gender responsive governance. UN Women works closely with the UN Country Team in integration of women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of UN work.
The project “Enhancing accountability for gender equality and women’s empowerment in national reforms, peace and security” aims to: consolidate the efforts of government, parliament and civil society to remove structural barriers to gender equality and women’s human rights; ensure accountability of national governance, reforms, planning and budgeting for commitments and priorities in the areas of gender equality and women, peace and security; strengthen cross-sectoral coordination and oversight for gender and women’s rights commitments; strengthen coalitions between government, parliament, media and civil society for evidence-based advocacy in Ukraine; strengthen the capacity of gender advocates and women’s groups to effectively demand gender equality in reforms and peacebuilding.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Programme Specialist (Project Manager), National Programme Coordinator contributes to the effective management of UN Women project “Enhancing accountability for gender equality and women’s empowerment in national reforms, peace and security” (2017-2021) in Kyiv, Ukraine, by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation, evaluation and reporting. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women project by providing technical advice, coordination, partnership building and management support. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women Country, Regional and HQ staff, Government officials, Parliament, Ombudsperson, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Impact of results:
The key results of this post directly impact on the ability of UN Women to effectively implement UN Women’s programmes and related operations in the country. This impact should lead to enhancing the visibility and image of UN Women as an effective leader on gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment within the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
1. Coordinate the implementation of the Programme components
- Coordinate the Project work plan development and implementation according to Strategic Note/ programme document;
- Liaise with the national counterparts, donors, UN Women and partners to ensure the Programme results are achieved and resources are managed;
- Prepare and present work-plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Programme Board and UN Women;
- Maintain systems for project planning, implementation and monitoring, in collaboration with partners;
- Record and maintain documents on relevant Programme activities, issues, and risks.
2. Guide coordination with national partners and other stakeholders
- Coordinate relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the Programme, raise potential problems and provide solutions;
- Provide guidance to partners on establishment of performance indicators, and monitoring achievement of results;
- Identify capacity building needs and support partners through technical assistance, mentoring, training, cross-partner learning, and capacity development initiatives.
3. Coordinate the monitoring and reporting on the Programme
- Gather and compile all information necessary for monitoring and reporting on programmes and projects from the planning to the evaluation stages;
- Monitor the implementation of activities and the expenditure of funds by partners; conduct regular monitoring visits;
- Review and coordinate the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Provide inputs from programme activities and results to Country Office and Regional Office reporting.
4. Manage financial resources and supervise staff
- Co-supervise and manage a team of administrative staff, review performance and mentor/ coach staff;
- Oversee and monitor the allocation and disbursement of funds to participating partners.
5. Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Provide technical support to the development of partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Identify potential programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and donors’ priorities and develop the relevant partnerships.
6. Advocate and facilitate knowledge building and management and communication
- Ensure documentation of the programme implementation process and products produced are in accordance with UN Women guidelines;
- Contribute to the exchange of information and knowledge products internally and externally of the programme;Organize and support the coordination and implementation of major advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Substantive support to the UN Women Head of Office and Project Manager on inter-agency coordination related activities is provided;
- Results, experiences and lessons learned during implementation of the project documented and disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Programme initiatives are designed and formulated for translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions;
- Reporting, quality monitoring activities completed.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS:
- Timely and quality implementation of Programme activities against set workplans, timelines and budgets, in line with the Strategic Note
- Quality and timely reporting
- Strong relations with partners and stakeholders
- Regular and timely monitoring of activities
- Timely and quality implementation of advocacy events in line with work plan
- Enhanced best practices and lessons learned documented and circulated
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES (applies to all)
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public administration, law, human rights, gender equality, management, social sciences or other related areas is required.
- 10 years (with Masters’ degree) in coordinating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating development programmes and projects including 5 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in managing complex and multi-component programme interventions with national partners;
- Previous experience working in the UN system is an asset.
- Solid knowledge of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian languages.
The UN Women Ukraine is committed to workforce diversity. Women and men with disabilities, other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, IDPs, refugees legally entitled to work in Ukraine, are particularly encouraged to apply.
UN Women Personal History Form (P11) must be completed and attached as part of the online application - https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-p11-personal-history-form.doc?la=en&vs=558