UNDP is the UN’s global development network and assists programme countries to build and share solutions to the challenges of globalization and human development.
The Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) for Europe and the CIS is UNDP’s main knowledge and advisory hub for the Europe and Community of Independent States Region (ECIS). It aims to connect the region to a global network of development experts, to build knowledge and capacity, and to forge partnerships to meet the development changes of a large and diverse region. IRH also aims to capture and spread development successes and best practices in the region and to improve the impact of UNDP’s work through effective communications and advocacy.
On 23 January 2015, the Government of the Russian Federation and UNDP signed a Partnership Framework Agreement (PFA) that established the foundation for a long-term Russia strategic partnership with UNDP for the implementation of development projects in other countries. This document brings to a new level the strategic partnership between the Russian Federation and the UN in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, while also highlighting Russia’s growing role as a donor in advancing the 2030 Agenda globally.
In June 2015, Russia and UNDP signed the agreement establishing the Russia-UNDP Trust fund for Development (TFD), as a sustainable funding mechanism for programmatic cooperation in third countries. Since 2015 the TFD has become a well institutionalized and operationalized instrument with a set of rules and regulations to support the effective implementation of development projects. If in 2015 the TFD was set up with an initial contribution of USD 25 million, in 2020 the total amount of TFD resources equals to USD 80 million. In 2020 TFD entered into its sixth year of operation with fast growth in the number of projects, and an expansion of the geographic and thematic scope.
In this context, UNDP has taken a decision to enhance the support of the TFD by establishing a Programme Assistant position.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Senior National Officer in the UNDP Partnership Support Office, the Programme Assistant will work in close collaboration with IRH teams, respective TFD projects staff, and external clients (government, donors, consultants, ets) as required for resolving the TFD issues including operational and exchange of information. The incumbent is also expected to support effective management of the TFD Operational project as well as project financial monitoring and reporting.Supports effective management and monitoring of the respective TFD portfolio:
Supports effective management and monitoring of the respective TFD portfolio;
- Provide support to TFD Manager and Deputy TFD Manager in the implementation of the TFD strategy:
- Organize, compile and process information from the donor and IRH team as inputs to various databases and documents;
- Follow the established filing, archiving standards and procedures for TFD, organizes, updates and maintains all related documents;
- Scans and ensures proper digital filing of all TFD documents that must be retained in support of corporate policies.
- Identifies and escalates TFD project related issues, proposing and contributing to the development of solutions;
- Preparation of TFD workplans and operational budgets, and proposals on projects implementation arrangements;
- Tracking, monitoring and reporting on the use of TFD operations project resources;
- Support the procurement processes of the TFD projects, including hiring of consultants, designing and printing publications;
- Organizing and participating in the Steering Committee meetings and take note of decisions made/follow up actions;
- Support collection, analysis and presentation of background information for preparation of the Steering Committee or other TFD related events;
- Backstops monitor TFD projects delivery, income and expenditures and prepares financial reports for TFD management and donor;
- Backstops TFD staff during absences or mission travel.
Administrative and Financial Management Support to TFD implementation:
- Overall support the TFD management and Partnership Support Office in the Russian Federation in administrative and financial issues;
- Implementation of the internal control mechanisms, finance business processes and internal Standard operation procedures;
- Record keeping on TFD operations for the related activities (procurement, travel, HR, payments) up to date and in order;
- Financial planning, including tranches allocations;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, study-tours by TFD projects to Russia;
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation;
- Assist in entering and management of TFD Operational project related data in Atlas, creation/monitoring of e-requisitions, purchase orders, vouchers, vendors.
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched, payed out and closed. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
- Preparation of monitoring missions of the SC members and TFD manager;
- Carry out all administrative requirements and arrangements with respect to the TFD staff, experts and civil servants official travel;
- Liaise with travel agents, including purchase of tickets, hotel booking, visa support;
- Make travel arrangements and coordinate all administrative, logistical and security requirements if required;
- Prepare Travel requests and Travel claims, insure Travel claims reconciliation after the mission.
Facilitating of Knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt, and best practices related to the project management;
- Supports TFD management in organizing knowledge sharing events for TFD projects, identifying relevant partnerships and sources of expertise for TFD projects implementation;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on financial and operational issues.
- The Programme Assistant performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Demonstrated capacities to perform multiple taks, in multi-cultural environment and dealt with confidential matters
- Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs
Reviewing and reporting
- Ability to review and edit documents, ability to produce meeting report identifying key actions
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Programme management skills and communication skills
- Knowledge of analytical tools and methods for undertaking substantive research on various policy related issues
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them
- Secondary education with specialization in administrative or programme management
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, social policy, public policy, politics, economics, development studies or a related area.
- Secondary education with 7 years of experience of relevant experience in administrative or programme support service.
- Bachelor’s degree with 4 year of relevant experience in administrative or programme support service.
2. 2 years’ experience in project implementation, planning and reporting is requirement
3. 2 years’ experience of managing financial resource is requirement
4. Experience working with UNDP at Country Office or HQ level is strong asset;
5. Exposure to any other UN organization or Government institution is an asset;
6. Experience working in governmental agencies is an asset;
7. Knowledge of Atlas is an asset
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in Russian is required.
- Non-Smoking environment;
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and complex environment;
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: Initially for 1 year with possibility of extension