The Project Manager I provides management and operational support to the Technical Assistance/Evaluation (TA/Eval) team’s projects. As a member of the team’s Project Operations and Management (POM) Function, the Project Manager I ensures that EnCompass delivers the highest quality of work in response to client needs and contract deliverables, within budget and on time.
The TA&Eval Project Manager I reports to the POM Project Manager II and is located in the EnCompass Rockville office.
Due to COVID-19, and subject to situational changes, the position is expected to be fully remote through June 2021. Must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures smooth day-to-day project operations using effective project management and operational processes
- Liaises with EnCompass operations teams on behalf of project teams, as needed
- Oversees financial aspects of the assigned projects by leading yearly projections, ensuring accurate review of monthly invoices (for accuracy and compliance with the contract provisions), monitoring monthly costs, and tracking contract expenditures against budget and total obligated funds. Reviews and determines causes for variances to the budget and ensures that the Project Lead and Corporate Officer are aware of the status of budget and contractual performance.
- Works closely with Project Leads and finance and contracts teams on preparation of budget realignments, contract modifications, and subcontract modifications
- Supports subcontract management
- Supports project startup and closeout for all assigned projects (US and country-based). In addition, for in-country projects, supports sourcing of field office space, onboarding country teams, and mobilizing expats
- Ensures that project-related files and documentation are maintained, shared, and stored according to established protocols
- Conducts quality control reviews and ensures project milestones and deadlines are met, revising activities, timing, and resources, as needed, in response to shifting client deadlines and ad hoc requests
- Works with project staff to plan and document best practices
- Collaborates with Talent Acquisition team to recruit project staff and consultants, including preparing job description, conducting interviews with candidates, and onboarding new hires; may serve as Hiring Manager
- Supervises and develops assigned staff
- Supports business development activities, as appropriate, including drafting project management role descriptions, describing EnCompass project management processes, and preparing proposal budgets
Contributes to project management guidelines and standards, as appropriate
Engages fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events
Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and 6+ years of experience or Master’s Degree and 4+ years of experience or a PhD and 2 years of experience
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of two years of project management experience managing large portfolios in the international development sector supporting all administrative, operations and financial aspects
- At least two years of strong financial management experience required
- Professional fluency in French required
- Experience working with international organizations, including U.S. Government (with main focus on USAID), the UN, NGOs, or the private sector
- Experience supervising larger teams working on multi complex portfolios with strong knowledge of the range of contracts and budget requirements (FAR and AIDAR) – cost plus fixed fee, time & materials, and fixed price contracts.
- Excellent management, organization, communication (verbal and written) and problem-solving skills with the ability to prioritize assignments and meet required deadlines
- Ability to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations, collaborate on projects and communicate results
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues
- Flexibility in working in a dynamic environment managing multiple activities, ad hoc requests, and changing requirements
- Ability to integrate diverse information from varied sources
- Adept at identifying and framing problems, setting priorities, and making critical assessments
- Committed to providing the highest level of service to clients via numerous channels (writing concise emails and participating in client meetings as needed) and technical teams
- Expertise in project management software (SharePoint, UNANET, MS Project, etc..), word processing, database management, spreadsheets (Excel), and web-based programs
- Ability to travel required
- Experience working or living overseas preferred, and working in difficult and volatile country contexts is desirable
- Ability to work in an appreciative, strengths-based environment and to guide others in using an appreciative approach
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.