Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace around the world. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts around the world. Together we tackle the toughest problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. (To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Program Assistant will provide administrative and programmatic support to program management and other program staff as they accomplish the mission of the Border Security Training Program (BSTP) on the Curriculum and Training Design (CTD) team. The qualified candidate will have experience in research and providing operational support to program activities.
The position is based in Washington, DC, and reports to the BSTP Program Lead on the CTD team. The CTD team creates and implements rigorous and sustainable transformative learning processes that strengthen the capacity of individual and institutional partners to build peaceful, equitable and just societies. CTD is part of the Applied Conflict Transformation Center, which serves as the hub of the Institute’s common resources for governments, organizations, and individuals seeking to prevent, mitigate, and resolve violent conflict worldwide.
TARGET SALARY RANGE
Grade 07- $49,000 - $50,000
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Contractor offers are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity, and the amount budgeted for the position.
Administrative and Programmatic Support:
* Conducts research and desk reviews to support BSTP assessments and project implementation.
* Supports the coordination and implementation of multifaceted training and education programs.
* Coordinates the knowledge management for the team, including research, data management, and outreach to improve program tracking and capture lessons learned.
* Develops, edits, and updates internal and external program documents (e.g., web content, project pages, special reports, fact sheets, after-action reports, quarterly reports, etc.).
* Supports monitoring, evaluation, and learning efforts.
* Supports the development of concept notes and/or proposals for potential inter-agency agreements including conducting research, editing drafts, and developing draft budgets.
* Supports the maintenance of internal and external partnerships to further program goals and objectives.
* Assists in training new program and administrative staff on procedures, systems, and processes.
* Coordinates and schedules program meetings, agendas, and scheduling of program activities.
* Updates program policies and procedures for compliance.
* This job requires occasional international travel.
Budget and Contract Management:
* Coordinates with the USIP Finance team to obligate and expend funds, track budgets, resolve issues, and generate budget and financial reports to help monitor program budgets.
* Generates routine budget and financial reports to help monitor program budget.
* Helps reconcile the budget of the program by inputting transactions correctly and expeditiously, obligating funds, processing travel vouchers and reimbursements, and tracking the budget using USIP’s financial management system.
* Provides contract management support activities, including drafting the initial contract proposal language, completing the USIP contract template, tracking receipts, and monitoring payment of contractor services.
* Serves as program’s point of contact for all logistical, accommodation, and travel arrangements for international meetings.
* Completes administrative travel processes for domestic and international travel. Processes travel authorizations, advances, cash requests, vouchers, and reimbursements for program staff and invitational travelers.
Meetings, Events, and Logistics Support:
* Schedule meetings and activities for both BSTP meetings.
* Coordinates all logistical arrangements for program public and invitation-only events both at HQ and in-country. Duties include reserving rooms, developing invitations, monitoring RSVPs, ordering food and supplies, arranging room set-up, and serving as the main point of contact for attendees.
* Develops promotional and informative descriptions of events for USIP’s internal staff members and external guests.
* Coordinates domestic and international travel, including overnight accommodations for event participants.
Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor’s degree in international affairs, African studies, peace and security studies, or related field required.
* One (1) or more years related project and administrative experience, budgeting principles, program implementation, and coordination of major office activities required.
* Thrives in a fast-paced environment and as part of a dynamic team that requires administrative and programmatic support.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
* Ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
* Detailed-oriented with strong organizational skills.
* Strong time management skills with the ability to multitask, prioritize work, and meet deadlines.
* Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
* Strong networking skills and capabilities.
* Knowledge of project coordination, communication, and management.
* Program and financial management proficiency.
* Strong writing skills.
* Experience working in the African context is a plus.
* Strong skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Word, MS Outlook, and MS Excel.
* Strong computer skills in database usage.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire, and salary requirements.
For questions about this position please email email@example.com. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.