Position Title: Procurement and Logistics Officer
Duty Station: Banjul, Gambia
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, X months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 09 July 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer in The Gambia, and in coordination with Global Procurement and Supply Unit (GPSU), the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for ensuring the appropriate implementation of instructions and policies governing the management of resources related to procurement and logistics in IOM The Gambia Country Office (CO). S/he will be responsible and accountable for providing support to ongoing activities in procurement and logistics services, particularly to support the provision of reintegration assistance to vulnerable migrants. S/he will also contribute to providing recommendations aiming at increasing effectiveness and efficiency of procurement and logistics management within the CO.
IOM procurement and supply chain activities are guided by the general principles of:
Best Value for Money
Accountability, Integrity and Transparency
Fairness and effective Competition
Best Interest of IOM
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise procurement and logistics staff in the CO, and ensure they are provided with necessary guidance and support to deliver duties in line with IOM procedures and processes.
- Implement the CO's oversight and strategic planning for logistics and other technical matters in close collaboration with other departments within the CO and related units in Manila and Geneva.
- Ensure all expected goods, materials and services needed for the CO’s programmes are received in accordance with Purchase Order specifications, and that all goods and materials are in good condition.
- Communicate in a timely manner with Project Managers, Resource Management Officer and the Chief of Mission any potential obstacles or issues that would impede program activities.
- Follow up and liaise with the Procurement and Logistics Unit on purchase orders status and keep Project Managers/requesters abreast of estimated delivery times or any changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions.
- Ensure all Procurement and Logistics transactions are appropriately tracked and documented through PRISM and maintain a tracking system for Expendables, fast-moving goods and for fixed assets assigned to staff.
- Take responsibility for the planning, implementation, and monitoring aspects related to procurement and logistical needs of the CO.
- Produce regular progress reports, statistical information and briefing materials for all activities and plans related to procurement and logistics as required.
- Supervise all other logistic services, including maintenance of building, maintenance of the IOM fleet of vehicles and other common support services at the CO.
- Provide supervision, guidance and assistance to the Procurement and Logistics Unit in the CO to analyse procurement requests, identify Service Providers, and evaluate information regarding vendors’ performance in the areas of quality, prices, and delivery of goods and services in view of the Organization’s best interest.
- Assist in developing and preparing procurement, supply and service contracts. Coordinate negotiations with all interested parties including claims and contract disputes resolutions
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:***
• Master’s degree in Business Administration or Management, Logistics, Procurement, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience;
• Professional certification in procurement, logistics and operations is an advantage.
• Experience in PRISM financials (asset and procurement modules) an advantage;
• Experience in large scale procurement and logistics;
• Experience in managing staff and extensive technical experience;
• Experience in the region is a distinct advantage.
• Sound skills in reporting and Microsoft Word applications;
• Ability to work under minimum supervision;
• Knowledge in SAP Finance is an advantage;
• Knowledge in supply chain management.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Wolof, Mandinka, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.