Renewable Energy for Rural Livelihood (RERL) is a joint project of the Government of Nepal/Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (GoN/AEPC) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). In continuation of UNDP’s support to the energy sector and UN’s commitment towards ensuring universal access to modern energy services, UNDP Nepal and GoN/AEPC has agreed to extend the partnership in this sector to scale up decentralized energy systems particularly mini hydro, large solar PV, productive end-uses and renewable energy financing for better linkages with enterprise development and livelihood enhancement. RERL provides technical assistance for the implementation of mini hydro and solar mini grid subprojects under the Asian Development Bank/South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (ADB/SASEC) Power Expansion Project, off-grid component being implemented by AEPC in rural areas of Nepal.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Overseer shall support AEPC/SASEC, UNDP and specifically the project personnel at the mini hydro sites for successful accomplishment of the construction supervision works of the subprojects with particular reference to generation and verification of field measurement/data. The duties and responsibilities of the Overseer include, but not limited to, the following:
- Support the Site Coordinator (SC) in construction supervision works with particularly in making construction measurements, preparing measurement sheets, maintaining log sheets and safety arrangements of workers;
- Support the SC in day to day management of work schedule;
- Assist the SC in conflict management and resource mobilization;
- Assist the team to ensure Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) issues are considered during construction of mini hydro project
Impact of Results
The work will have impact in ensuring proper construction supervision of mini hydro subprojects pertaining to conformity of quality standards of civil structures in mini hydro construction.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Good inter-personal skills;
- Clear and upfront communication skills;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
- Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
- Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
- Focuses on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem solving approach;
- Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Demonstrate ability to identify and anticipate bottlenecks, as well as seek guidance;
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality concerning financial and employee files;
- Ability to organize and complete assignments within deadlines;
- Integrity and impartiality, ability to work with external partners e.g. supplier, vendors, service providers;
- Ability to convey difficult issues and positions to senior officials proactively seek guidance and make clear recommendations to line managers;
- Dynamic and results-oriented;
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to draft short memos and conduct presentations;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; can multi task;
- Willing to work long hours;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Required Skills and Experience
- Diploma in Civil Engineering from a recognized institution / CTEVT certificate in related field.
- 5 years of experience in supervision of construction work;
- Demonstrated relevant practical work experience in the field of construction supervision;
- Experience in mini/micro hydro and solar PV would be added advantage;
- Candidates from the local area will be given preference.
- Proven ability in Nepali
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Ability to reside in mini hydro sites in remote areas of the country on a regular basis.