The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Mine Action and Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People's Aid is seeking an Operations Manager (OM) for Mine Action and Disarmament operations in Iraq
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Department for Mine Action and Disarmament's (DMAD) vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has 22 DMAD Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from explosive weapons?
NPA started supporting Iraq in 1995 conducting mine clearance in the northern Kurdish region. In 2010 NPA shifted its focus to southern Iraq, conducting capacity building and survey and clearance operations. In addition, and in support of the humanitarian relief effort resulting from the liberation of areas previously held by ISIL, in 2017, NPA established an IED and Improvised Landmine clearance programme operating in Ninewa, Northern Iraq. In the course of 2018 NPA expanded its operations into Anbar, Central Iraq the role remaining the same as in Northern Iraq, to clear improvised landmines and other explosive devices left behind by ISIL. NPA Iraq has 18 multi-task teams (MTT), four mechanical teams, eight Non-technical survey (NTS) teams, and is in the process of establishing four MDD and three QC teams.
The position is based in Ramadi, Anbar host to NPA’s largest project portfolio but will cover all operations in Iraq. The Operations Manager has the overall responsibility for all operational aspects and staff in the programme, including quality management, capacity development of national staff and impact assessment. The OM will be expected to do regular visits to all operational sites plus attend meetings with and undertake briefs for the DMA and other relevant stakeholders as required.
In this position your main responsibilities will be: **
- In close coordination with HO ensure SOPs are updated and accredited by the Directorate of Mine Action (DMA).
- Manage, supervise and coordinate all operational staff, and support staff, including but not limited to the operations room, Quality Management and Training, impact assessment, survey, clearance and arms management and destruction.
- Supervise and support the planning and implementation of technical and managerial continuation training of national staff to build capacity.
- Provide progress reports on technical, operational (including impact related information) and administrative matters.
- Liaise with the DMA, national and international mine action operators and other relevant stakeholders.
- Target resources and work towards an improvement of the planning process allowing operations to be carried out with focus on quality, cost efficiency and impact.
- Supervise and support the development and maintenance of an operational QM system.
- Oversee, analyse, and supervise all operational data.
- Planning, execution and quality management of assessments, surveys and clearance operations (CMRS, BAC, non-technical survey, technical survey and clearance operations with manual, mechanical and/ or animal detection in and IEDD environment)
- Conduct operations in accordance with overall plans, Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) and IMAS and/or NMAS.
- Represent NPA in stakeholder meetings of an operational nature
- Ensure operational accreditation (in accordance with national standard)
- Liaise with the DMA for Tasking, Reporting, Plans, and Training
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Proven ability to develop and manage survey and clearance operations, including motivating and leading a team.
- Track record of establishing and maintaining effective professional relations with relevant stakeholders, in particular national and international clearance operators.
- Experience in operational planning and proven analytical skills
- Thorough knowledge of Humanitarian Disarmament policy, IMAS, NMAS, SOPs and the Land Release principles (and/or IATG when relevant).
- Proven experience in drafting technical notes, SOPs and training packages.
- Hands on mine action experience with the Land Release process including non-technical survey, technical survey, manual demining, EOD, IEDD, BAC, mechanical and/ or animal detection an essential.
- Good understanding of management of mine action operations and their support, including logistics, finance and human resources.
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Recent Iraq experience
- Experience in Managing international staff.
- Good communication, cultural understanding and interpersonal skills.
- Can handle pressure coming from simultaneous tasks with challenging deadlines and can prioritize workload under limited supervision
- Ability to adapt to harsh environment and work calmly under pressure and with limited supervision.
Start date: As soon as possible
In return we offer: An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday plus one additional week off for expats, plus one week’s R&R every seven weeks. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year*. We offer a one-year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Programme Manager Iraq
Head of Section