Creative Associates seeks an Operations Director for an upcoming USAID-funded program in Afghanistan. The overall goal of the Afghanistan Market Based Jobs for Peace program is focusing on integration of IDPs, returnees, former militia fighters, women and youth into the economy in rural and peri-urban areas of Afghanistan.
The Operations Director is responsible for the management of human resources, local procurement and information technology of the program in the fluid and complex operational environment of Afghanistan.
Reporting & Supervision:
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), the Operations Director will support the DCOP in the management of program operations and provide technical leadership and oversight, as needed. S/he will directly supervise the Procurement team, the office support staff, the IT department, travel/logistics staff, and the HR and administration team. S/he will additionally serve as primary liaison for international vendors.
- Ensure streamlined operations systems in line with Creative and donor rules and regulations;
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the portfolio of programs;
- Ensure an in-depth awareness of operational issues in the context of Afghanistan;
- Streamline and maintain procurement processes to meet grant deliverables and milestones;
- Serve as the primary liaison to all vendors and subcontractors;
- Responsible for day to day management of subcontracts with international vendors;
- Serve as primary liaison for Creative HQ on international subcontractor issues;
- Manage and oversee staff responsible for arranging travel and logistics for staff and project equipment and inventory;
- Provide timely and accurate reports on location of staff and assets and maintain proper hard and soft copy files for each. Reports may be requested by HQ or donor;
- Responsible for program compliance with Task Order, U.S. Government rules and regulations, and Creative policies and procedures;
- Support DCOP in all operations tasks and duties;
- Manage, train, and mentor key team members in the areas of administration, logistics, human resources, procurement, budgeting and finance; and
- Respond to requests from donor and supervisors as needed.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- At least eight (8) years of relevant work experience, including experience with a Contractor or international NGO managing an office or program;
- At least four (6) years of experience supervising complex, high-speed, and challenging field operations in developing countries;
- Familiarity with or have experience in community participation-type projects as well as those that are political in focus;
- Experience with operations, logistics and subcontracts in an insecure environment;
- Knowledge of basic operating procedures in high-risk environments;
- Experience in conflict, post-conflict, or transitional state environments;
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, Dari, and Pashto;
- Strong analytical capacity; and
- Previous experience working with USAID desired.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
Only finalists will be contacted. Only individuals authorized to work full time in Afghanistan are eligible for hire.