Despite COVID-19 prevention measures have succeeded in preventing communal outbreaks in Mongolia as of April 2020, social distancing measures and restriction of movement have had drastic socio-economic impacts on the livelihoods and well-being of the most vulnerable groups of Mongolia. Under its framework for support to COVID-19 Response and Recovery in areas of livelihoods, governance and economic recovery, UNDP Mongolia aims to assist in strengthening the integrated system of reaching out to the most vulnerable groups, by upgrading and digitalizing the social services information system and expanding capacity of social workers in local administrative units to more rapidly and effectively respond to needs of vulnerable individuals. The specific strategies proposed are:
1) Strengthening the Government social welfare and securities information system to allow rapid response to the most vulnerable groups and to provide immediate access to essential social services, including welfare, employment, education, health, and social protection, including protection from domestic violence;
2) Enabling social workers across local governments to use digital technologies to enhance identification, targeting and outreach;
3) Improving the intersectoral process integration and strategy to reach the furthest behind through empowering social workers in respective sectors.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the UNDP Country Office Portfolio Officer, the Project Coordinator is responsible
- for the day-to-day management of the project, including planning, implementation, coordination, reporting, monitoring and evaluation; and
- for the substantive support to the project.
The Project Coordinator is accountable to UNDP for the overall management of the project and for the delivery of results (outputs) specified in the project document, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost.
The Project Coordinator is expected to devote 20% of his/her time to the Country Office Covid-19 response coordination, reporting to the Deputy Resident Representative.
Summary of key functions:
The project is effectively and efficiently implemented in a transparent and accountable manner, in accordance with rules and regulations of UNDP, and where applicable, the Government of Mongolia;
Annual workplans are submitted on time, to UNDP and the Project Board for approval;
Annual project reports and financial reports are submitted to UNDP and the Project Board for approval, and to the funding organization in accordance with the relevant requirements;
General responsibilities and duties:
• Under the guidance of the Project Board, take a lead to build consensus among the project stakeholders on key results, expected outcomes and impacts of the project;
• Prepare and submit Annual work plan, Annual report/Final report in a timely manner;
• Implement the project activities and monitor the progress against the initial project quality criteria and M&E indicators;
• Monitor project financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
• Provide substantive guidance and support to relevant substantive areas of the project implementation, where needed;
• Manage and monitor project risks, issues, and lessons learned, and regularly update the Project Board on the status of risks;
• Mainstream gender equality in the project activities, planning, monitoring and reporting;
• Coordinate and create synergies with other relevant projects and initiatives;
• Lead and manage project communications, advocacy and partnership strategies;
• Initiate and manage project-related procurement actions, including drafting of clear technical specifications for the provision of goods and services under the project workplan;
• Ensure the quality and timeliness of goods, services and works delivered by sub-contractors, through close supervision and pro-active risk mitigation strategies;
• Maintain the project documentations, manage the transfer of project deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national counterparts and beneficiaries as relevant;
• Assist in undertaking of annual audits, independent project and outcome evaluations;
• Prepare and implement a strategy for sustaining the project results beyond the project duration;
Support to coordination and efficient implementation of UNDP-led initiatives as a response to Covid-19 epidemic in the country (20% of time):
- Prepare regular reports covering current situation and progress of UNDP’s Covid-19 activities in Mongolia;
- Map out and coordinate UNDP initiatives that are being implemented or planned as response to Covid-19 crisis working closely with program officers and project teams in charge of different initiatives;
- Assist in coordination with various Government and non-Government entities, UN Agencies and other development partners involved in various activities related to socio-economic impact assessments and response on COVID;
Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Zero tolerance for any harassment i.e. any type of offensive behavior, words and actions, including sexual and psychological harassment, bullying, etc.
Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Management and Leadership
Strong managerial, leadership and decision-making skills, ability to manage strategically;
Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
Excellent analytical and writing skills.
Professionalism and knowledge management
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively and demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
Good communication skill both in writing and oral, including networking and interpersonal skills with all levels of the project stakeholder groups;
Proven ability to persuade and influence others to cooperate;
Commitment to teamwork and working across discipline;
Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in social work, development studies, public policy or other related fields;
Work experience qualification
A minimum 6 years (with PhD degree) or a minimum 10 years (with Masters’ degree) of extensive working experience in community development, social work, employment or social welfare policy analysis or related fields;
At least 3 years of direct experience in project management;
Prior experience working with or for a government organization is an asset;
Good analytical skills and report writing skills;
Excellent knowledge of English and Mongolian, both spoken and written
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: Nine months