Position reports to: Deputy Resident Representative
UNDP Lebanon is recruiting a National Gender Specialist to lead on the implementation of a strategic initiative “Integrating Gender in Lebanese Institutions (IGLI)”, while providing high level advisory support and strategic guidance to the Country Office in taking forward its gender equality agenda.
The “Integrating Gender in Lebanese Institutions (IGLI)” aims to strengthen the capacities of the selected institutions in mainstreaming gender as a cross-cutting area in all their approaches and interventions, including at the sub-national level. The initiative will also focus on strengthening the monitoring & evaluation framework of the Lebanon Crisis Response Plan through improved gender analysis.
Under the overall guidance of the UN Resident Representative, and the day-to-day management of the Deputy Resident Representative.
- Project Management
- Analysis and Advisory Support
- Partnership Development
- Develop annual work plans and corresponding budget plans contributing to the achievement of target outputs specified in the project document, in coordination with the LCRP Gender Analysis Specialist and other team members
- Develop and update quarterly work plans and expenditure plans based on the agreed annual work plan
- Provide strategic oversight of the planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the project, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Develop and disseminate knowledge on areas related women’s empowerment and gender institutional strengthening that are relevant to the project and build capacities of team members,, and counterparts, as need be.
- Provide substantive direction and guidance to IGLI’s project team by assigning responsibilities and tasks, and supervise their performance. Organize regular meetings for the Project team members to assess progress, and discuss challenges and constraints
- Provide guidance to counterparts from the four targeted institutions and work closely with the gender analysis specialist in mainstreaming strategies within the purpose of the LCRP.
- Prepare terms of reference for required inputs (individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods, organization of training, seminars, etc.) with expert technical support as required and ensure that these are processed in timely and transparent manner, thereby mobilizing competent national and international experts for the project in accordance with the agenda and activities that are supported by the project
- Supervise all operational matters, including payment orders, contracts, bids, etc.
- Manage and monitor the project risks as initially identified in the Project Document, and adapt project directions accordingly.
- Provide ongoing analysis to UNDP’s senior management on relevant aspects of Lebanon’s gender agenda, and identify relevant entry points, including from an institutional perspective.
- Develop and update a gender strategy to be integrated and aligned with UNDP’s new Country Programme Document.
- Conduct a Country Office Gender Portfolio Review, working closely with all portfolios and units.
- Identify strategic and innovative Programme areas of cooperation to further the gender integration, in line with national priorities and plans, and the implementation of Agenda 2030.
- Serve as the gender focal point in the Country Office and provide technical support to various programmes and portfolios on a needs basis.
- Manage the CO’s gender team.
- Establish and consolidate relevant networks – comprising of government counterparts, civil society, academia, UN agencies and international partners -- at national level to support the efforts of UNDP in the area of gender equality and institutional mainstreaming.
- Actively participate in the UN Gender Working Group, representing UNDP, sharing relevant information, and identifying opportunities for collaboration and joint venture.
- Identify opportunities and engage in resource mobilization initiatives.
- Represent UNDP, as requested, in various fora and meetings.
- Proactively communicate on UNDP’s engagement and achievements in the area of gender mainstreaming and institutional support.
- Integrity – An ability to work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
- Professionalism – An ability to work in a calm, competent and committed manner; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Respect for Diversity – An ability to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
- Leadership – Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Empowers others to translate vision into results; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support.
- Communications – Clearly and effectively speaks and writes, tailoring language, tone, style and format to different audiences; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others.
- Planning & Organizing – Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusting priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Accountability – Adheres to organizational rules, regulations and standards; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
- Client Orientation – Provides services, support, advice, guidance to internal or external clients, and seeks to see things from their points of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; Demonstrates resourcefulness by finding new solutions to address operational or strategic problems.
- Vision – Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks.
- Empowering Others – Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations and gives staff autonomy in important areas of their work; Holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility; Involves others when making decisions that affect them.
- Building Trust – Operates with transparency; Places confidence in colleagues, staff members and clients; Treats sensitive or confidential information appropriately.
- Judgment/Decision Making – Identifies key issues in complex situations; Considers potential positive and negative impacts of decisions on others and on the Organization; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
UNDP strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension