The “Horizons. Strengthening community resilience in Abkhazia” (Horizons) project is aimed to promote the social and economic resilience of local communities, especially youth, through improved access to high quality health and education services in Abkhazia. In doing so, the project aims to increase the space for reconciliation, confidence-building and social cohesion, thus expanding the ‘horizons’ of local communities affected by 1992-1993 conflict. The project is implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in cooperation with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The 5-year project (June 2016 – June 2021) intends to achieve its goal through reaching targets within and across three primary objectives of the program:
The Horizons project will focus on the following key components: improving the healthcare system through expanding HIV/AIDS prevention and providing screening on Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), Hepatitis B and C, and TB; improving maternal and child health care services; expanding learning and social participation skills and opportunities for youth in Abkhazia, enhancing business education and vocational training.
Under overall guidance of UNDP CPR Team Leader and direct supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the project team members and CO M&E Specialist, the M&E Officer will be responsible for timely monitoring evaluation and reporting on project results, application of the RBM tools in project management, review and improvement of RBM products (e.g. results frameworks), as well as contribute to knowledge building and knowledge management. The M&E Officer will also contribute to effective implementation of the evaluation policy, ensure that monitoring and evaluation requirements for the project are met, and ensure a systematic follow up to the evaluation recommendations. The M&E Officer will provide coaching and guidance to the implementing organizations in Abkhazia in designing project targets, and M&E tools, monitoring the progress and reporting against the set indicators.
The M&E Officer will work in close collaboration with the UNDP and UNICEF Project Coordination Unit, representatives of the donor agency, Programme and Operations Teams in the CO, as well as with UNDP Regional Hub and HQ staff, UN Agencies and other national and international partners.
Under overall guidance of UNDP CPR Team Leader and direct supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the project team members and CO M&E Specialist, the M&E Officer will be responsible for timely monitoring, evaluation and reporting on project results, application of the RBM tools in project management, review and improvement of RBM products (e.g. results frameworks), as well as contributing to knowledge building and knowledge management.
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Contribute to the project planning (at both strategic and operational level) and ensure compliance of all project deliverables with the RBM standards
- Contribute to the development of the annual implementation plan, annual M&E plans;
- Suggest strategies to the Project Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying bottlenecks in completing project activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks;
- Prepare Annual Monitoring Plan, select monitoring tools to be used in the framework of the AMP and track project implementation against the indicators (project and activity indicators) including performance of the project partners implementing activities through Responsible Party Agreements (RPA) and Low Value Grants (LVG);
- Contribute to –needs assessment when needed, in order to assure relevance of the planned project activities;
- Support partnering organizations and project activities/Centers established under Horizons project to develop monitoring and evaluation plan, including M&E tools and approaches.
2. Design M&E tools, and implement Monitoring and Evaluation of the projects, as well as ensure regular reporting to UNDP, UNICEF and the donor
- Design M&E tools (results snapshots, field visit plans, field visit report template, progress report template for the implementing organizations etc.);
- Plan and conduct regular visits to project sites/events/activities/beneficiaries and project partners to monitor project’s progress against set of indicators and collect relevant field data (e.g. field reports, video recordings, photos, human stories) - (both UNDP and UNICEF components). Ensure collection and archiving of all project-relevant documentation to be used for reporting and communications including development of the cloud photo archive;
- Review/design log frames of the programmatic agreements (RPA/LVGs) with CSO partners and conduct regular monitoring of these agreements, verify partners’ progress reports and delivery of results against targets set out in the agreements and alert project manager in case of bottlenecks and propose remedial actions.
- Compare and analyze evidence against project’s defined baselines, milestones and targets and inform decision-making to adjust the project based on evidence and analysis from monitoring.
- Based on the data and other evidence collected from monitoring along with analysis and lessons learned, contribute to preparation of quarterly, annual, thematic and other reports – in format required by the donor, in close cooperation with UNICEF; Provide special ad-hoc reports to UNDP, UNICEF and donor, if required.
- Provide contribution to all corporate reporting and planning cycle of UNDP and UNICEF (e.g. ROAR, Integrated Work Plan, GIS, TraiNet, ATLAS annual project progress reports);
- Support and coordinate evaluations (if necessary), which meet evaluation policy standards of the UNDP and UNICEF; ensure systematic follow up on recommendations.
- Assist Project Manager in monitoring project risks and implementation of risk management measures at least annually through Atlas risk register.
3. Provide assistance to the preparation of various media related materials and monitor media appearance of the project
- Provide assistance in preparation of press releases and other media (including social media) related notices;
- Ensure fulfillment of both Donor and UNDP visibility requirements in implementation of all projects components.
4. Build capacity of partner organizations in terms of results-based planning and management
- Support partner civil society organizations/BECs in designing respective M&E frameworks (tolls, data generations methods etc.) for implementing projects and reporting against it;
- Provide coaching and tutoring to implementing organizations on results-based management, evidence/data collection during project design and implementation.
5. Facilitate knowledge sharing and networking on the M&E-related topics. Keep abreast of the state of-the-art/innovative M&E tools and methodologies
- Identify, formulate and document lessons learned from evaluations and studies to be integrated through existing reporting and assurance mechanisms into broader Country Office and EO knowledge management efforts; ensure sharing of knowledge and best practices among M&E officers of other UNDP projects.
- Contribute to the UNDP’s and UNICEF’s results-oriented monitoring and evaluation training efforts where relevant;
- Promote monitoring, evaluation and RBM standards, quality assurance/ control and capacity development in Abkhazia programme and UNDP/UNICEF;
- Build strong and trusted partnership with stakeholders, other UN agencies, partnering organization’s and other local stakeholders.
6. Perform other relevant duties as required.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s and UNICEF’s mandate.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position (especially in the area of data collection, analysis, reports writing, monitoring and evaluation, international development etc.);
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s and UNICEF’s Goals
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s and UNICEF’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the civil society and local government.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Ability to manage conflicts at workplace and with partners/stakeholders;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Statistics, Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations or a related discipline;
- Specialized training in planning, design, monitoring and evaluation methodologies and project cycle management would be an advantage.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation of development programmes; and/or projects, in an international, multilateral/bilateral or national organization;
- Sound theoretical and applied knowledge of Results Based Management will be a strong asset;
- Experience with, or knowledge of the UN system M&E principles will be a strong asset;
- Experienced and advanced user of computers and office software packages.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, Russian. Fluency in other local languages is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 11 months with possible extension subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance