International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of
MEAL Officer (2 Positions) to be based in Maiduguri and Kano.
Position: Nigerian nationals only
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) Officers will be responsible for
designing, planning and providing technical guidance on Monitoring and Evaluation activities in the polio eradication and COVID-19 project in Borno/Kano states. He/she will work closely with the local implementing partners, Monitoring and Evaluation working groups both at the states and at CGPP secretariat, to ensure efficient and effective social mobilization in the implementation of the PEI and COVID-19 activities in the state.
· Support the Communication Officer, Surveillance Officer and State Managers to effectively collect, collate and report social mobilization, Surveillance and COVID-19 data as required.
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to partners’ project sites, review partners’ M&E system and
Focused Group Discussion to measure the project progress.
· Provide consistent, supportive supervision to strengthen staff performance as necessary to meet monitoring objectives.
- Responsible for state data collation, processing and reporting of weekly and monthly summary
Forms from Partners M&Es, LGACs and VWSs.
· Provide timely analyzed data and report on the monitoring activities and feedback to the programs; and write reports.
Conduct regular data validation and verification exercise as necessary.
Maintain the Indicator Performance Tracking Table and feed the information to programs and
· Conduct regular analysis and action planning meetings to (1) compare data against project milestones, targets, and quality expectations across project sites;
- Identify, document, store and share lessons learned (this includes success story too) that have
Implications for refinement of best programmatic practice.
- Ensure ethical and safe collection and storage of data.
· Assist the M&E Coordinator in all aspects of programme monitoring by periodic data collection, data verification and data analyzing from partners
- Develop and maintain database system to ensure programme tracking and to get critical
Information of programme achievement by organizing, analyzing, and presentation.
· Identify the needs and Provide technical supports on data management system, and M&E for partner organization.
· Assist and participate in M&E trainings to staff and partners on M&E Systems and data analysis
in liaison with Implementing Partners
· Ensure data management related training and capacity needs are identified systematically and communicated to M&E Coordinator
- Collaborate with partners’ M&E person to ensure effective supervision, monitoring and
evaluation system in place
· Support the team lead to monitor activities at the intervention states and communicate findings and progress to response team
- Support Documentation, Reporting, Knowledge Sharing and Effective Feedback Mechanism.
· Support coordination of the response monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual reviews and reports as required.
· Participate in dissemination of program information to communities, children, and other
stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism.
Participate in program review meetings in both the state and national
Participate in project baseline, midterm and end of project evaluation and special data requests.
· Maintain an inventory of data collection and monitoring visits to partners on a regular basis to monitor M&E systems.
Carry out other tasks to support the polio and COVID-19 project activities as assigned.
Conversant in USAID indicators reporting on Nigeria Polio/COVID-19 project
Qualification and Experience
· A degree qualification or equivalent in public health, social science, statistics, economics or related discipline
- Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
· At least 3 years M&E experience in international development, experience working on polio project
· Strong analytical skills and an understanding of a range of methods for monitoring, evaluation and assessment to promote evidence-based learning.
· Planning skills, including ability to think creatively and set priorities, manage work plans and evaluate progress.
· Understanding of local communities and cultures in the relevant states of operations and ability to communicate fluently in Hausa.
Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
Ability to travel and work in difficult settings, including remote rural areas of Nigeria.
Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, or similar software.
Well-organized, with ability to track multiple activities and deadlines.
Experience in providing administrative support to work teams.
Ability to work successfully in cross-cultural, team-based environment.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.