General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
Under the supervision of Senior CVA Coordinator, the Markets Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring the high-quality implementation of the market based activities in GOAL's food voucher and regular MPCA programme, including support to design and planning, implementation and reporting, and staff supervision and coordination. The candidate will be responsible for ensuring the timely implementation of activities and that these are carried out in line with GOAL guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). The Markets Coordinator in Turkey will be responsible to provide needed technical support to GOAL’s Markets team in Syria and support the implementation of training to build the team capacity and performance. The Markets Coordinator will work closely with the CVA Coordinator and the CVA team to ensure the CVA programme is adapting to the market dynamics in Syria in a timely way. In addition, the Markets Coordinator will work closely with the Global Cash Adviser and Senior CVA Coordinator to continuously improve the programme policies and procedures.
Duties, objectives and competencies
- In coordination with Senior CVA Coordinator & CVA Coordinator, the Markets Coordinator will be responsible for the design and implementation of the market teams activities within the food voucher and regular MPCA programme including, overseeing shopkeeper’s selection and contracting and ensuring high quality market assessments are carried out. Also, the candidate will be responsible for monitoring the performance of shopkeepers as well as evaluating the impact the programme has on selected and unselected shopkeepers.
- Lead the participatory development of annual Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPs) for the markets team in line with project proposal including vendor registration and monitoring, monitoring and evaluation, and staff capacity development events.
- Develop weekly and monthly activity plans for the market team in line with the annual DIP.
- Lead the implementation of project activities according the project proposal and relevant plans, including all related procurements.
- Track progress against weekly, monthly, and annual plans. Identify gaps and systematically develop processes to gather data, analyse options, and propose evidence-based solutions to ensure timely and effective implementation of activities.
- Lead the design, implementation, and write-up of market assessments and identification of viable target areas for food voucher & regular MPCA assistance.
- Promote the integration of agency and industry standards and best practices in food assistance and market-based programming.
- Coordinate the development, implementation and analysis of price and market monitoring for a sample of villages receiving food assistance and ensure timely information sharing and discussion with the CVA Coordinator & Senior CVA Coordinator.
Support the planning, implementation, and follow up on regular team meetings to review data and analysis and consider implications for programming with the Senior CVA Coordinator and CVA Coordinator.
Regularly review Market Monitoring team reports and take agreed upon actions to address the issues raised in coordination with the Senior CVA Coordinator & CVA Coordinator.
Contribute to the development and review of all Guidelines, SOPs and other key programme documents in coordination with the Senior CVA Coordinator, CVA Coordinator.
Responsible for ensuring the adherence to all Guidelines, SOPs and other key programme documents by the relevant team in Syria
Staff Supervision and Leadership
- Provide technical line management to the markets team in Syria. Support the regular review of the Programme org chart and JDs and any necessary revisions to promote effectiveness and efficiency.
- Provide strategic guidance to Programme staff implementing, including support for market assessments and price monitoring systems.
- Identify strategic needs and opportunities for staff capacity building to ensure high quality Programme implementation and lead the coordination or implementation of trainings and other opportunities for staff capacity building.
- Ensure that all members of the markets team understand and complete GOAL performance management and professional development process.
- Ensure strong communications within the markets team and between the markets team and the CVA team, inviting input from all members, ensuring their appropriate involvement in decision making, and sharing regular updates regarding developments in the Programme.
- Model and promote GOAL core competencies, approaches to safety and security, and staff care.
Institutional Learning, Documentation and Sharing, and Reporting
- Support ongoing monitoring and evaluation processes, including development of tools and review of evaluations.
- Ensure needed PDMs and monitoring procedures are taking place as needed and checking any need for program adjustments based on these reports.
- Coordinate with MEAL staff to plan, implement, and analyze the results of PDMs and other relevant monitoring data on a monthly basis.
- Support beneficiary accountability and participatory approaches throughout the Programme cycle.
- Participate in writing quarterly and annual reports. In addition, to ensuring needed information is collected accurately and timely.
- Take the lead in the completion of success stories and case studies showcasing the food voucher & MPCA programme.
- Degree or master’s level qualification in economics, business, food security, nutrition or any other relevant field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in humanitarian programming with an NGO with at least one year experience in a programme management or coordination position.
- Proven knowledge and technical skills in set up, design, implementation and monitoring of markets-based programming.
- Experience and/or knowledge of market analysis tools, including market systems analysis
- Strong grasp of project development and management and proven capacity in budgeting
and financial management
- Experience managing people and/or processes within an organization
- Proven problem solving and coordination skills, flexibility and calmness under pressure
- Fluent written and spoken English and Arabic language skills
- Strong computer skills with particular competencies with Microsoft Office applications
(including MS Word and Excel)
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in Idlib and Aleppo governorates and understanding of the humanitarian crisis in Syria
- Proven capacity for policy development, and long-term strategic planning
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.