NOTE: Signed Offeror’s Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability - https://www.ba.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/docs/Operations/Jobs/Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx - Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability.docx - to be sent to e-mail email@example.com with Subject: Job ID 91990.
UNDP in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) is currently implementing the project “Support to UNEP/GEF portfolio”, aimed at providing support to implementation of project activities leading to achievement of projects’ outcomes as per the project document for the GEF-6 MSP „Achieving biodiversity conservation through creation, effective management and spatial designation of protected areas and capacity building“. The project envisages expansion of protected areas system in BiH and enabling capacity conditions for effective management and mainstreaming biodiversity into the production landscape.
The output will provide for establishment and effective management of protected areas and biological diversity by expanding protected areas network. Furthermore, it will address current weaknesses within the protected areas network, enhance financial capacities for protected areas management and empower capacities of the main actors for mobilization of additional resources in the protected areas system in BiH. Additional focus of the project is development of an officially recognized, inclusive and functional system for biological diversity monitoring system in BiH as a basis for nature conservation.
When it comes to nature protection and protected areas, BiH is one of the richest countries in Europe in terms of biodiversity, however the territory of protected areas in BiH is relatively small, and the percentage share as compared to the total BiH territory is very low and significantly below the European average. Protected areas in the country are currently covering only 2.28% of the national territory, which puts BiH on the very bottom of the European protected areas chart. Moreover, the conservation authorities are understaffed and there is an evident lack of financial resources to implement relevant legislation and other tasks, including planning, establishment and supervision of protected areas. Ensuring effective management and securing sufficient financial resources are vital if protected areas are to continue to provide benefits and fulfil their role in biodiversity conservation. However, financial resources are often a constraining factor in the effective management of protected areas, falling well short of needs. Protected area financing involves mobilizing and managing funds to address a range of challenges associated with nature protection. Building a diverse funding portfolio, going beyond conventional mechanisms and including multiple funding sources, is a key element of protected areas financial stability and sustainability. Protected areas financial sustainability requires that funds are managed and administered in a way that promotes cost efficiency and management effectiveness, allows for long-term planning and security and provides incentives and opportunities for managers to generate and retain funds at the protected areas level.
In view of the above, the project endeavors to develop innovative and sustainable financing mechanisms/modalities for protected areas in BiH, encompassing analysis of current income and expenditures, overall financial needs, gaps and opportunity costs, feasibility assessment of existing and new financial mechanisms at the site and system level, and elaboration of a comprehensive plan for ensuring long-term financial support for protected areas network in BiH. Sustainable financing mechanisms/modalities shall include necessary regulatory, legislative, policy, institutional and other measures and ideally, focus on both revenue and expenditure and need to propose innovative funding mechanisms.
Legal expert for development of financing modalities - mechanisms will be tasked to explore feasibility of potential financing mechanisms that may be suitable for protected areas network in BiH, more precisely she/he will be tasked to prepare and finalize development of the new sustainable financing mechanisms/modalities for the protected areas network of both entities in the country. Legal expert shall, in cooperation with the Finance specialist, develop and finalize new appropriate financing mechanisms/modalities to generate the income streams needed for protected areas management and sustainability that will be consulted with the Project Steering Committee, relevant stakeholders and project partners.
Protected area managers need certain staff capacities and organizational structure to generate funds effectively. The Legal expert for development of financing modalities - mechanisms should take this into consideration and provide findings on what are the capacity and organizational prerequisites for sustainable financing and what changes should be made to enable it.
Under the direct guidance and supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the Energy and Environment Sector Leader, the Legal expert for development of financing modalities - mechanisms for the protected areas network of both entities in the country will provide programme support to the Biodiversity Project ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Legal expert will be expected to undertake the following tasks and responsibilities:
Task 1: Review legal, regulatory and administrative context of BiH for protected areas financing, funds allocation and management and other relevant material (studies/strategic documents).
Task 2: In cooperation with the Finance specialist for the preparation and development of the new sustainable financing mechanisms/modalities for protected areas (entity and B-H level), develop new appropriate financing mechanisms/modalities to generate the income streams needed for effective management and sustainability of protected areas in BiH.
Task 3: Develop drafting instructions/amendments for legislation and regulations to support the integration and use of the new financing mechanisms/modalities within the country.
Task 4: Plan and facilitate a workshop on protected areas new appropriate financing mechanisms with the key stakeholders for protected areas in both entities.
Other various technical and administrative matters related to Project Manager.
Task a: Regular update to supervisor (in terms of the Progress reports) for the above listed tasks.
All of the above listed tasks shall be performed under the supervision of Project Manager in cooperation with other project staff
Deliverables / Outputs
# of Days per Task
Report on the legal, regulatory and administrative context of BiH review for protected areas financing and management
30 July 2020
Developed and finalized new appropriate financing mechanisms/modalities to generate the income streams needed for protected areas effective management in BiH and sustainability document (with recommendations for improvement of both capacities and management of protected areas managers and current legislation)
17 August 2020
Developed instructions/recommendations for legislation and regulations to support the integration and the use of the new financing mechanisms/modalities within the country
6 September 2020
Implemented workshop on protected areas new appropriate financing mechanisms/modalities with the main stakeholders in both entities
22 September 2020
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Law (Legal studies).
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in development and review of legal and policy documents (preferably within the environmental sector);
- Proven local experience in the relevant area of expertise (e.g. participation in policy, legislative or regulatory implementation);
- Proven experience in analysis of institutional and management arrangements within the environmental sector in BiH;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, etc.);
- Good knowledge of circumstances related to key environmental issues and sustainable development.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in English.
- Overall understanding of environment/development issues in BiH;
- Good knowledge of national and international standards related to nature conservation;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as drafting skills;
- Strong organizational skills, ability to track and juggle multiple tasks.
Qualifications as stated in the ToR
max 35 points
Relevant professional experience
max 45 points
Good knowledge of circumstances related to key environmental issues and sustainable development
max 10 points
Knowledge of English
max 10 points - will be assessed as:
10 points for fluency and the points decrease as per the level mentioned in the CV:
good - 8 points;
fair/upper intermediate – 5 points;
intermediate - 2 points;
beginner - 1 point.
Technical Evaluation Criteria
Rating based on Qualifications
Knowledge of relevant environmental policies/documents
Individual will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the candidate whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Interested candidated must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work.
- Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.