The Laboratory Advisor will provide expert laboratory assessment, technical advice and training to ICAP at Columbia University Zambia located in Lusaka, Zambia. The objective of this position is to strengthen and build laboratory capacity in the provinces that ICAP currently partners with the Ministry of Health, and with potential new partner countries.
- Assume accountability and responsibility for the sound execution of the HIV laboratory portfolio in the care and treatment project, focusing on technical assistance to the provincial and district health laboratory services as well as facility-based support.
- Provide high-level guidance oversight and direction for developing and maintaining key HIV laboratory systems and services.
- Provide technical assistance to the PHO/DHO to oversee laboratory operation and monitoring, training and maintenance in all supported ART sites
- Assist in the development and implementation of systems of quality control and quality assurance for HIV-related laboratory services
- Work directly with provincial laboratory PCR specialist in assuring the effective and efficient management of PCR systems and reagents at the NRL.
- Work directly with the provincial/national laboratory staff in charge of viral load testing to ensure access to this test, including strengthening courier systems for this service
Complete other related duties and special assignments, as assigned**Experience, Skills and Minimum Required Qualifications**
Bachelors’ degree in medical laboratory science; Master’s degree an added advantage
A minimum of seven years’ experience working in a large clinical or research laboratory; experience working in a donor funded project an added advantage
Prior experience with relevant current routine HIV laboratory procedures including viral load, PCR, hematological, biochemical and microbiological analyses etc.
Prior experience in training, mentoring, and supervision of laboratory professionals.
Basic computing skills including Microsoft Excel are required
Fluent English oral and written communication skills
Fully registered with the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ) with a current practicing license for 2020**Travel**
The job may require the successful candidate to travel long distances and to be accommodated in different places around the country