Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Laboratory Advisor will provide technical laboratory leadership, including technical assistance and capacity building support, for ICAP’s proposed CDC-funded project, Expanding Access to Quality Laboratory Service (EQUALS) in the Kingdom of Lesotho under PEPFAR (CDC-RFA-GH20-2044).
The position is contingent upon availability of grant funding
- Provides technical expertise and direction, strategic vision, and management guidance to all laboratory-related project activities.
- Ensures sustained capacity to deliver quality laboratory services in the country to improve clinical outcomes and treatment and prevention services of HIV, tuberculosis (TB), and related diseases.
- Trains and mentors laboratory staff to improve human resources capacity to improved laboratory workflow and efficiency.
- Develops new and revises current guidelines, policies, strategic plans, and standard operational plans to improve laboratory infrastructure and ensure increased access to laboratory services.
- Provides technical expertise in assessing existing laboratory systems, capacity, and services, and supports the design and implementation of sustainable laboratory strengthening strategies.
- Ensures laboratory staff adheres to requirements of national and international standards to improve the accuracy and reliability of laboratory tests and achieve laboratory accreditation.
- Oversees the development and implementation of innovative and sustainable laboratory test delivery services to reduce turnaround time.
- Supports the M&E Technical Advisor in improving laboratory data capture for program management and surveillance.
- Provides project-related guidance and direction to highly skilled laboratory specialists from ICAP, the Ministry of Health (MOH), and key national stakeholders.
- Supports the implementation of national laboratory strategic and operational plans, guidelines, manuals, training materials, and standard operational protocols.
- An advanced degree in laboratory medicine or related field.
Experience, Skills, and Minimum Qualifications:
- At least ten years of experience working in a large clinical or research laboratory, with significant experience in microbiology, laboratory management, and renovation.
- Prior experience with relevant technical laboratory procedures related to HIV/AIDS and TB.
- Demonstrated experience in quality assurance, quality control, protocol development, specimen management, and electronic information systems within a laboratory context.
- Experience implementing laboratory accreditation and laboratory strengthening programs.
- Proven ability to effectively mentor and advise laboratory professionals; experience overseeing the training of staff engaged in laboratory activities and improvements.
- Written and spoken English proficiency.