Creative Associates seeks a Jobs Creation Component Lead for an upcoming USAID-funded economic growth program in Afghanistan focusing on integration of internally displaced people (IDPs), returnees, potentially former militia fighters, women and youth into the economy in rural and peri-urban areas of Afghanistan. The overall goal of the program is to increase jobs for target populations in rural and peri-urban areas.
The Jobs Creation Component Lead supports the Technical Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), manages a team of jobs creation experts focusing on respective target groups, and carries out any other tasks assigned by the Technical DCOP to ensure proper management of the Contract.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Jobs Creation Component Lead works under the leadership of the Technical DCOP and supports the Technical DCOP in appropriate technical and coordination aspects of program.
The Jobs Creation Component Lead will oversee the Contract's Jobs Creation component implementation through direct supervision of its target group experts, as directed by the Technical DCOP.
- Manages a team of Jobs Creation experts and oversees the Contract's Jobs Creation component implementation including finances, human resources, security, procurement, local subcontractors, and grants (if required) in compliance with Creative and U.S. Government policies and procedures;
- Formulates work plan sections that aim to achieve the Contract's jobs creation goals, in cooperation with the Technical DCOP, other project staff, USAID, and the Government of Afghanistan;
- Oversees and approves sub-grantees, sub-contractors, and short-term consultants' implementation of the project in relation to jobs creation.
- Provides support to the Technical DCOP in programmatic, strategic development and quality control duties; liaises with USAID and government stakeholders to respond to their informational, data and monitoring requirements;
- Provides strong technical contributions to Jobs Creation activities and results;
- Develops and delivers reports and written documentation related to technical activities to be reported to USAID, including weekly, quarterly and annual reports, and all relevant project deliverables; and
- Responds to requests from donor and supervisors as needed.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- At least a Masters' degree in business, economics, international development, agriculture, trade, or other relevant field (or, alternately, a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field and 5 additional years of relevant experience);
- At least six to eight (6-8) years of experience implementing complex economic growth assistance projects in developing countries; including three to five (3-5) years focused on jobs creation for rural and peri-urban populations including IDPs, returnees, youth, or women, with proven track record, and one year of working experience in fragile or post-conflict states;
- At least four (4) years of experience in the private sector or value chain development, agricultural and non-agriculture value chains, private sector development, MSMEs strengthening, trade facilitation, export promotion, agriculture, or related fields;
- Previous experience in the private sector, particularly jobs creation, agriculture, agribusiness, export, trade, marketing, or other related sectors highly preferred;
- Experience effectively integrating gender and youth programming into development programs;
- Experience working collaboratively with host country governments and the local private sector, and coordinating activities with those of other donors;
- Experience managing culturally diverse teams and working with counterparts from other cultures;
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills; local Afghan language fluency highly desired; and
- Ability to travel internationally or domestically for up to 20-25% of the time.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.