Job Title: IT/Data Analyst
Directorate: International Health Strengthening Project Pakistan
Responsible To: Senior Advisor in UKHSA
Deadline to Apply: January 26, 2022
Base/Location: National Institute of Health, Islamabad
City of Posting: Islamabad
Hours Per Week: 40 Hours
Years of Experience: 5 years
Job Type: Fixed-term
The Ministry of National Health Services Regulation and Coordination have specifically identified that achievement of IHR compliance is a priority for Pakistan. The combined competencies of coordination, surveillance, response, preparedness, human resources and laboratory capacity also suggest the need for a well-functioning integrated diseases surveillance and response system (IDSR) in Pakistan, with coordinated flow of information and reliable response mechanisms from district to national levels.
UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), former Public Health England (PHE), is an executive agency of the UK’s Department of Health and Social Care.
UKHSA is supporting the development of an Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) system in Pakistan. There is already a strong in-country team of public health specialists. There is an in-country lead supported by health advisors, data analysts and other public health professionals. As part of IDSR, the team work closely with the National Institute of Health (NIH), Federal Ministry of National Health Services Regulation and Coordination, Health Departments in KP and other Provinces in Pakistan. The in-country team is supported by Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) from the UK, who support data flow and public health laboratory network developments.
UKHSA is working with the National Institute of Health and provincial health departments on implementing District Health Information System Version 2 (DHIS 2). This is being done as part of UKHSA’s International Health Regulations (IHR) Strengthening Project in Pakistan. This is an ODA-funded project undertaken by UKHSA to improve global health security, through increasing compliance with the 2005 International Health Regulations (IHR). The project aims to contribute to action at national and regional levels, leading to measurable strengthening of public health systems in the selected countries. Through strong partnerships with national public health institutes and Health Departments. The approach is to work alongside partner countries, to build public health capacity and capability, whilst fostering ownership and long-term sustainability.
UKHSA, through Contech international, are looking to recruit to a post that will support the implementation of the health information management system DHIS 2 (District Health Information System version 2) for infectious disease surveillance at the National Institute of Health, Islamabad, Pakistan.
The post holder will contribute to surveillance activities in NIH through providing technical expertise relating to surveillance data management and analysis and the implementation and use of DHIS 2.
The post holder will also be required to contribute to other related activities including close liaison with other DHIS 2 implementation projects in Pakistan, relevant training, development of documentation and training materials, DHIS 2 system/database administration, responding to ad hoc data requests and where required supporting the response to outbreaks and incidents.
Communication and key working relationships
- UKHSA Pakistan team
- UKHSA Subject Matter Experts
- Field Epidemiology Service UK
- Laboratory staff i.e., Microbiologists and Laboratory Managers
- IDSR phase 1 districts
- Other professional scientific, information and administrative staff in a number of organisations
- Agencies contributing to environmental hazards surveillance, water and sanitation, zoonosis
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Implementation of DHIS 2:
- Apply data management and health information management system expertise to the implementation of DHIS 2.
- Configure the national DHIS 2 instance with accurate metadata including organisation units, geographical information and agreed minimum data sets.
- Solve technical problems related to the implementation of DHIS 2.
- Develop DHIS2 integration strategies such integration between two DHIS 2 instances.
- Configure network infrastructure and should able to resolve complex network related problems for smooth running of DHIS 2 instances.
- Develop best practices to secure DHIS 2 instances.
- Configure firewall best practices to avoid cyber-attacks.
- Prepare deployment strategies to roll out new DHIS 2 roles across all the provinces.
- Contribute to user support activities including user registration, development of documentation/SOPs and dealing with user queries.
- Contribute to awareness raising and relevant training (including development of training materials).
- Maintain close liaison with government staff and sources of DHIS 2 expertise.
- Ensure that best practice data management and information governance/security principles are applied at all times.
- Contribute as required to simple Linux server or database administration tasks related to DHIS 2.
- Maintain close liaison with all IDSR participating districts to maintain compliance rate summary report
- Prepare standard tables, charts, maps and dashboards within DHIS 2 or using other analytical software, as requested.
- Consult with users and ensure that end-user requirements are met.
- Respond to ad hoc requests for data or surveillance reports.
- Contribute to other NIH surveillance or outbreak response activities as required. Analytical Skills.
- Undertake further statistical analysis of data, under guidance.
Quality and Governance:
- Be aware of, and comply with, best practice on secure storage and transfer of PII.
- Support audit through data extraction and basic analysis
Workforce / HR:
- Be responsible for managing own workload, including developing objectives and reviewing progress against these.
The above is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. You will carry out any other duties as may reasonably be required by the directorate.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
The successful Analysts will be an intelligent, well rounded, and experienced professional with good technical, management, communication and analytical/critical thinking skills.
- Post-graduation in relevant field with experience in the maintenance and analysis of data
- Higher qualification in IT, biological, information sciences or public health
Knowledge and experience
- Knowledge/experience of data management or working with public health surveillance / monitoring and evaluation system
- Experience of working with DHIS2 applications such as Aggregate and Case base data capturing
- Proficiency with analytical tools such as R, SQL, Python, Stata, SPSS and/or SAS
- Experience of basic administration of databases, preferably PostgreSQL
- Analytical skills and experience in performing basic descriptive and trend analysis
- Experience of basic Linux server administration
- Experience of working on virtualization technologies such as Hyper-V and ESXI
- Knowledge of network related troubleshoots
- Working experience with Lab Information Management System (LIMS)
- Understanding of software integration
- Understanding of information governance and data security
- Experience and understanding of the development and use of Standard Operating Procedures
- Knowledge and experience of providing technical support and/or training
The ideal candidate for this position will have: • excellent presentation skills • Good oral and written communication skills • Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team, as well as on own initiative • Ability to produce work of high quality and accuracy to deadlines • Ability to work under pressure • Awareness of data protection and confidentiality requirements • Willingness to travel • Good organisation, prioritisation and time management skills and • An interest in public health, infectious disease epidemiology and control and statistical analysis.