FAO Azerbaijan has on-going and pipeline projects under Natural Resources Management portfolio that includes environmental and climate change mitigation/adaptation related projects.
Under the overall supervision of FAOR, the programmatic supervision of Assistant FAOR and the technical supervision of Lead Technical Officers, and in consultation with relevant government departments, non-government organizations and other national and international organizations concerned, and in close cooperation with FAO country teams, Project Task Force.
Deployment of the relevant methodologies, tools, approaches and the best international experiences related to the sustainable natural resource management, including biodiversity conservation, protected areas management, pesticides management and so on.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Provide guidance on technical aspects, including methodologies, tools, and approaches in natural resources management, mostly focusing on the biodiversity conservation, protected areas management, POPs and obsolete pesticides management, and related fields;
• Lead technical planning, overall coordination, and monitoring of all relevant projects’ activities, with the support of the National Team Leaders/project coordinators;
• Provide technical guidance and inputs to ensure that project activities are implemented using relevant approaches, tools, methodologies and best practices (to be documented in working progress reports);
• Provide technical support and guidance during organization of the project’s workshops, meetings and training activities;
• Guide the preparation of the high-quality technical reports, evaluations, and other project-related documentation to ensure timely and accurate reporting on project progress, results, and lessons learned;
• Review and improve project technical reports and other project deliverables to ensure quality and request revision (if applicable) before submission to the LTOs for approval (to be documented in project progress reports);
• Prepare TORs for consultancies, service contracts and letters of agreement and advice on their implementation;
• Develop and review documents as needed ensuring that technical content meets required standards (to be documented in project progress reports);
• Review and support the preparation of project work plans and budgets;
• Lead and contribute to the development of natural resources management projects, including the design, planning, and implementation phases.
• Provide technical expertise and inputs to ensure project alignment with best practices and international standards;
• Support the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation frameworks for natural resources management projects;
• Guidance and support in conducting periodic project reviews and assessments to measure progress, identify challenges, and recommend corrective actions;
• Other relevant tasks when and as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• An advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in biology, environmental science and natural resource management;
• At least 12 years’ experience in Biodiversity conservation, natural resources management, environmental safeguards and protected areas management;
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and limited knowledge (level B) of another FAO language (Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, and Russian). For PSA, working knowledge of English. Knowledge in Russian or Turkish will be considered as additional asset.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Experience in institutional strengthening and capacity development within nature conservation and agriculture sector;
• Experience in stakeholder engagement across public, private, community, NGO and academic spectra; and facilitating partnerships and collaboration in socially inclusive and equitable manner;
• Experience in development of strategies, action plans and other relevant documents related to sustainable use and management of biodiversity;
• GEF project management cycle, including: inception, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, exiting and demonstrating adaptive management;
• Extent and relevance of experience in participating in, or leading, multidisciplinary teams;
• Sound experience in management of projects related to biodiversity, natural resources use in agriculture, planning and management of protected areas; as well as n projects related to pesticides and agrochemicals management;
• Experience working in region, experience in Azerbaijan will be considered as an additional asset.