Position Title : Intern - Resources Management Unit
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal (Regional Office for West and Central Africa)
Type of Appointment : Internship,six months Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Dakar-based regional office provides support to IOM Offices in 23 countries of West and Central Africa.
The Regional Resources Management Unit (RMU) is responsive to the needs of Country Offices to ensure that both human and financial resources are utilized in an economic, effective and efficient manner. The RMU coordinates with the Headquarter, the Administrative Centers and the Country Offices to implement policies that ensure sound financial and personnel management and planning.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Resources Management Officer (SRRMO), the successful candidate will support the activities of the RMU.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Assist in monitoring dashboard of project budgets.
Assist in the preparation of budgets.
Assist in the preparation of financial reports.
Liaise with the resource management staff in country offices, the administrative centers and the headquarter as required.
Classify and archive accounting, financial and administrative documents.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
The successful candidate will acquire technical knowledge in the field of finance, procurement and logistics, human resources and regional coordination. S/he can access online training courses at the disposal of all IOM staff. S/he will gain extensive experience working in an international and multi-cultural environment.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in Public Administration, Management, Audit, Finance or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
• Previous experience studying or working in West and Central Africa is an advantage.
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
Fluency in both English and French is required (oral and written).
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Eligibility and Selection
The Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
a) have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
b) are either students approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis, or recently graduated, who have less than two years of relevant working experience;
c) are between 20 and 36 years of age.
IOM provides a monthly stipend.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).