Internship Opportunity in the Directorate of Operations.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
Our team and mission
The Strategy and Transformation Office is responsible for: Preparing and formulating strategies in collaboration with the Director and the Operations Management Team.
- Formulating, communicating and evolving the Directorate’s overall strategy. Leading the Directorate’s strategy review process;
- Establishing and leading the Directorate Innovation Governance and the associated Matrix Organisation across the Directorate;
- Coordinating the strategic planning and implementation of the Directorate Research and Technology (R&T) activities, in close cooperation with the relevant Directorates and D/TEC in particular. The Office represents the Directorate level interface for this purpose;
- Fostering the development and supporting the establishment of the Directorate’s strategic partnerships. Coordinating and fostering cooperation and exchange with academia, NSAs and industry;
- Developing the Directorate’s Business Intelligence, by monitoring and analysing the external and internal environment and overlooking the socio-economic impact of the Directorate’s business.
For further information visit our web site: http://www.esa.int
Field(s) of activity for the internship
You can choose between the following topics:
1) Topic 1: Knowledge Management
You will work at the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC): the main mission control centre for the European Space Agency (ESA). ESOCʼs primary function is to operate unmanned spacecraft on behalf of ESA as well as launch and early orbit phases. ESOC plays a role of sole service provider and its resources are dedicated to mission operations. One of the challenges of this environment is the capturing and dissemination of the vast amounts of knowledge collected as part of this work. You will enjoy a 3 month project supporting Knowledge Management at ESOC, whose aims will be defined depending on the skill of the candidate.
2) Topic 2: Innovation Support
You will work at the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC): the main mission control centre for the European Space Agency (ESA). ESOC’s primary function is to operate unmanned spacecraft on behalf of ESA as well as launch and early orbit phases. ESOC plays a role of sole service provider and its resources are dedicated to mission operations. Nevertheless, its current strategy ESOC is to remain at the forefront of innovation in mission operations and space safety to enable European space industry competitiveness on the global market. You will deliver 3 month project/s supporting this goal, whose aims will be defined depending on the skill of the candidate.
You must have student status and be enrolled at university for the entire duration of the internship. You should preferably be in your final or second to last year of a university course at master’s level in a technical or scientific discipline.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
1) Topic 1: Knowledge Management experience would be an asset.
2) Topic 2: Engineering background is not essential for this position, MBA students are welcome to apply.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email email@example.com.
Internships can take place remotely, on-site or partially on-site depending on the pandemic situation, and in line with the relevant Establishment’s policy (e.g. possible Green Pass requirement) applicable at the time of starting the internship.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Nationals from Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia, as Associate Member States, or Canada as a Cooperating State, can apply as well as those from Bulgaria and Cyprus as European Cooperating States (ECS).