UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges. In the programme countries, UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in in partnership with the host governments, the United Nations system, the development partners and other partners to help the country to achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock.
UNDP has been a trusted development partner of the Maldives for more than 40 years, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, reduction of inequalities and exclusion in areas such governance, environment protection, climate change mitigation and adaptation. In each of its thematic areas of work, UNDP at the request of its national partners provides relevant policy advisory support, technical assistance, advocacy, and knowledge to help Maldives achieve its global commitment on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Under the guidance of the Economist, the intern will support the economic analysis for the country office’s policy support and programme development. The intern will provide inputs to the Development Finance Assessment and compile data and analysis for reports, publications that advises management on macroeconomic policies, trends, and relevant linkages with topical emerging issues in Maldives. The intern will provide relevant statistical analysis and support for the formulation of economic strategies and briefings to management. The interns will also provide programmatic support to projects directly implemented by the Economist Unit of UNDP Maldives.
Assist the Economist Team with the following
- Compilation, analysis, and interpretation of economic and statistical data, providing thorough research of the economic and development issues in Maldives.
- Support the preparation of signature knowledge products, policy briefs, background notes, talking points, presentation materials, on critical development issues developed by the Economist Unit.
- Providing programmatic support to the Economist Unit in implementing directly implemented projects; including preparation of progress reports, arranging meetings with stakeholders and consultants, and providing coordination support required for the day-to-day management of programmes.
- Conducting desk reviews of existing research and literature informed by the research questions and objectives
- Providing general research and logistical support for key meetings and products.
- Excellent data and analytical skills
- Excellent technical and report writing skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work well with diverse people
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, multitask and work under pressure.
- Good understanding of and/or background in one or more of the following areas of specialization: poverty reduction, democratic governance, environment and energy, capacity development, youth, gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Important applicant information
All posts in the Internship categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
For Intern - Economist Unit approximately the net salary per month is MVR 2,883.75. For more information please contact email@example.com
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any technical issues related to the vacancy announcement.
Contract Duration: 3 months