UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women’s China Office in Beijing supports and carries out work on (i) enhancing women's economic empowerment (WEE); (ii) ending violence against women (EVAW); (iii) innovative work to address gender issues in China (QWFIS);(iv)contributing to gender equality and women’s empowerment in China (CGF) and (v) using media to promote gender equality (Communication). In addition to the above, UN Women also actively participates and contributes to various UN inter-agency processes and collaborates with UN organizations around specific programme areas.
Media plays a very important role in our daily life. Media helps form our social values. Partnering with private sector organizations, UN Women has been promoting the use of media, especially social media, as a powerful tool to advocate for elimination of violence against women and promote gender equality.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the Communication Assistant, you will provide support to the Communications Officer on developing in-depth and creative information and communication content for social media channels, editorial texts and do translations when needed. Among others, your essential duties and tasks will be:
- Provide support to UN Women China communications work.
- Researching and assisting in the development of the content (text, photo, video) for UN Women China social media channels under the supervision of the Communications Officer.
- Support the development and dissemination of materials for advocacy and awareness-raising.
- Collection of information on the results of communication activities, including statistics and media reports;
- Provide translations and other administrative support to UN Women China office when needed.
- Background and relevant experience in communication and media; knowledge and experience of using/editing public social media platform is a must.
- Competent user of design software such as Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Pro and InDesign is preferred;
- Knowledge, awareness, and sensitivity regarding gender issues;
- Good translation and writing skills in Chinese and English;
- Communicative and creative personality & good team player.
Required Skills and Experience
- Applicants must be enrolled in the final year of an undergraduate or graduate degree programme, or a newly graduate from undergraduate or graduate degree progamme.
- Excellent communication skills (writing, speaking, reading and listening) in Chinese and English are required;
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize their basic living costs for the duration of the internship.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an electronic application to firstname.lastname@example.org , not later than June30th, 12am Beijing Time.
The Submission package includes:
- Updated CV;
- Cover Letter;
- Your sample work such as articles of your production, videos or graphic-design related tasks.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.