UNDP Regional Bureau for Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States (RBEC) works in 18 countries and a territory across the Western Balkans, Caucasus, Western CIS, Central Asia and Turkey. RBEC consists of 17 Country Offices; there is also an Office in Kosovo (UNSC 1244/1999), and one Project Management Offices (PMO) located in Cyprus. RBEC HQ is in New York, USA, while RBEC’s Regional Hub for ECIS – Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) – is in Istanbul, Turkey.
The Policy and Operations Support Unit is located in New York and supports the Bureau Director and its entire Management Team in overseeing the Bureau’s performance. It provides vital inputs in the Bureau management’s policy and operational decisions as well as, among others, works with country offices to support them in planning and implementing their organizational targets. The unit closely engages with all RBEC units as well as various organizational units in UNDP to ensure a coherent support is provided to country offices
Specific Post Context:
UNDP has recently embraced Digital Transformation strategy to introduce and foster new collaboration models, create systems and mechanisms to drive innovation and build capacities to develop and apply digital solutions that will enhance the organization’s performance. The creation of the ICT Specialist position aims to accelerate change driven by the Digital Strategy in the context of the Bureau and bring greater efficiency, innovation and digital collaboration in the work of RBEC programmes and offices.
The post will be critical to support RBEC’s efforts to ensure that technology is appropriately harnessed to strengthen business processes, systems and results throughout the region. It will help leverage existing and emerging technology in all aspects of Country Office work transforming our service into increasingly agile, transparent and effective partnerships. The characteristics of RBEC as the region with already high level of digital capability suggest that the process of creation, adoption and scaling of digital solutions will be fast and transformative within and beyond the region. For that, implementation of digital initiatives is expected to be one of the deliverables and measures of RBEC progress and thus needs to be reflected in the organizational set-up of the HQ. The present ICT Specialist position is part of the response to this need.
- Develops RBEC Digital Tools which underpin the Bureau oversight function and business processes;
- Elicits, analyzes and validates business requirements, translates business requirements into application functionality, specifications, and test plans.;
- Manages the current web application to ensure optimum performance; troubleshoots and provides continuing user support;
- Develops new functionalities and strive on providing the best user experience;
- Responsible for the quality assurance process, organizes and performs unit and integration testing, designing and utilizing test bases, assists users in acceptance testing;
- Monitors infrastructural components of UNDP information systems and suggest options to improved designs.
- Liaises with staff in business units, external IT specialists, and provides specialized advice to users.
- Develops business systems documentation.
- Maintains effective communications with end users.
- Applies rapid development and iterative prototyping to complex software problems.
- Fully functioning and comprehensive RBEC Analytics system developed, implemented and maintained.
- Supports Chief/POSU in developing data structures, arrays, cubes to interpret data and create actionable insights underpinning policy and operational decisions.
- Assist in setting-up risk warning and management systems for the use by management of RBEC offices and HQ
- Presents RBEC data and performance metrics in a visual, dynamic fashion to facilitate timely review and decision making by RBEC HQ and CO management.
- Using charting techniques, helps create various type of visualizations and dashboards.
- Liaise with UNDP technical units (OIMT) in developing subject oriented data warehouse specifications for RBEC business needs.
- Increased access to data, metrics and analytics enabled for RBEC HQ and CO staff to support their business needs.
- Enhanced managerial foresight, anticipation and forecasting capabilities enabled for RBEC managers and staff to handle risks and strategic opportunities
- Closely works with RBEC Country Offices to unleash and connect their digital initiatives and innovations
- Enhances digital co-creation among ICT champions in the region
- Helps systematize, catalogue, share and connect RBEC networks and existing knowledge, lessons learnt and developed solutions across the region
- RBEC staff have more capability to utilize automated analysis for their data-driven decisions.
- Digital innovations and solutions are promoted and scaled up efficiently among projects, offices and regionally.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Computer programming/ Software Engineering
- Web design/ visualization
- Data Analytics/ Knowledge Management
- Master’s Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or other ICT-related studies;
- Professional certification will be an added value
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience is required in software development, web design and use of hardware/software, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of database packages
- Knowledge and experience in development of Data Warehouse, Data Cubes and ETL tools
- Ability to provide IT support services including IT hardware/ infrastructure support, ERP support, web technology, HTML, and UNDP’s web server and fire wall protocols;
- In-depth knowledge of corporate systems and UNDP corporate ICT strategy technical standards and infrastructure;
- Knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Azure, Database management and Graphics software and other IT applications support, web design and maintenance. Experience with Google’s Material Design is an asset;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new systems;
- Experience in developing systems for structuring, codifying and providing access to information and knowledge
- Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension